Apple iOS In the Car: Making Your Vehicle Work Like An iPhone
By Judith Aparri | March 3, 2014 5:27 PM EST
Apple iPhone 5S still tops the list as the best handset of the month. After the recently concluded MWC 2014 in Barcelona Spain, the newly launched smartphones in the Mobile World Congress may make moves to catch up but mostly their availability will still be next quarter.
The new smartphones will showcase how these will compete with iPhone 5S in the next few months. The Cupertino colossus is setting itself for its next flagship smartphone - iPhone 6. Reports said its release date will be in the second half of this year.
Towards Automobile Direction
Currently, Apple is now working with Ferrari and Volvo using an onboard operating system. Apple will make vehicles work like iPhones. The two automakers are believed additional entries for Apple's list of carmakers that develop and install an operating system on board. Apple is set to make the announcement to match the opening of the annual motor show in Geneva, where the car industry uses to show their concept cars and future technologies.
Automobiles have become the recent battlefield for tech companies since they have the potential to maximize innovations as the optimum mobile devices. They can offer information services and entertainment and connect the passengers to the Internet.
iOS in the Car
Apple announced in June 2013 its "iOS in the Car." The mobile operating system will operate the dashboard electronics inside your car, the way it works inside your iPhone. This time, it will use the board display for traffic information and maps.
Apple expects a dozen car brands to have the technology this year as BMW AG, General Motors Co., Honda Motor Co. and Daimler AG already promised support. Ferrari is part of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV while Volvo is to Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. of China.
The Financial Times was the first to report early Saturday regarding the expected announcement in Geneva.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary