Manchester United Transfer News: Midfielder Admits He Could Move to Old Trafford, as German Star Also Ponders Summer Switch
By Deepak Vikraman | March 3, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Summer target William Carvalho said "it could be Manchester United" that he joins next season, amid heightened reports of interest from the Red Devils for the Sporting Lisbon midfielder.
Bayern Munich playmaker Toni Kroos celebrates with teammate Javi Martinez after scoring against Arsenal in the Champions League, 19 February. Reuters
Carvalho has reportedly been scouted several times by United this season, with manager David Moyes also having a look at the defensive midfielder.
The 21-year-old has also been linked with the likes of Real Madrid and Chelsea, with Sporting Lisbon inserting a £37.5 million release clause into his contract, which still has four years to run.
Carvalho, as every player invariably does, admitted to being flattered at being linked with some of the biggest clubs in the world. "It's nice being praised and to know there are some big clubs interested in me," Carvalho said after Sporting's victory over Braga at the weekend.
Moyes is a keen admirer of the midfielder, but the manager is reluctant to trigger the release clause. However, according to the Daily Mail, Sporting are prepared to let go of Carvalho for around £24 million, which is a price which should also suit United.
Asked if he could make a switch to a bigger club next season, Carvalho said he was keeping his options open.
"It could be Manchester United or Real Madrid," he added. "It's just nice to have a great European club after me, but at the moment I'm just totally focused on Sporting and doing my best until the end of the season.
"At the end of the campaign, we will see what happens."
Meanwhile, another high-profile midfielder linked with a move to Old Trafford is Toni Kroos, who is yet to agree a new deal with Bayern Munich.
United have reportedly made their interest known to the German international's representatives and are prepared to bring Kroos to the English Premier League by offering wages of around £250,000 a week, with Bayern set to receive £40 million as transfer fee for a player, who sees his current contract expire at the end of next season.
Kroos' younger brother Felix, who also plays in the Bundesliga for Werder Bremen, admitted the two had discussed a possible move to United, but no decision had been made yet.
"We have already talked about it," Felix told Sky Germany." Manchester has been the team of my dreams since I was a child.
"However, I don't give him any advice. He will take a good decision for himself. There are worse situations than having to decide something like that."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports