Oscars 2014: Ellen DeGeneres’ Best Jokes from the Academy Awards Night
By Keerthi Mohan | March 3, 2014 4:50 PM EST
As rains threatened to dampen one of the most awaited award shows of the year, chat show host Ellen DeGeneres kicked off the 86th annual Academy Awards with a monologue that poked fun at Hollywood’s royalty as well as the weather.
Show host Ellen DeGeneres delivers pizza to the audience at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood
"Welcome to the Oscars,” DeGeneres said. “For those of you watching around the world, it has been a tough couple of days for us here. It has been raining. We're fine. Thank you for your prayers," she added solemnly.
DeGeneres then went on to say that when she first hosted the Oscars seven years ago, actors such as Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep and Leonardo DiCaprio were nominated. She noted, rather sarcastically, that nothing much has changed now as all three were once again nominees.
Her next jabs were aimed at Liza Minnelli, who turned up for the event in an electric blue suit and blue hair dye.
"I have to say, one of the most impressive Liza Minnelli impersonators I've seen in my life. Really, seriously, good job, sir,” DeGeneres said to a not-so-amused Minnelli, who just managed a weak smile at the jab.
In the midst of her hosting duties, DeGeneres found time to take a selfie with the likes of Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lawrence, Kevin Spacey and Bradley Cooper, and since then the photo has been shared a million times.
DeGeneres even called out to Jared Leto, who won the best supporting actor award for his role as an HIV infected transgender in the movie “Dallas Buyers Club.”
"Win or lose, you all look beautiful tonight. Sandy, you look beautiful And Cate, you look—everybody looks beautiful. I'm not going to say who looks the prettiest tonight, but it's clear. It's Jared Leto. He's the prettiest.”
Jonah Hill, who flashed a prosthetic penis in “The Wolf of Wall Street” was also teased by the Oscars host who said that he “showed us something in that film that I haven't seen for a very long time."
Jennifer Lawrence, who once again tripped on the red carpet, was also not spared. DeGeneres said if Lawrence was to win again this year, then her award would be brought to her so that she does not fall on her way to collect the honor.
"If you win tonight, I think we should bring you the Oscar,” DeGeneres said as Lawrence and other stars burst into laughter.
She also brought in a pizza delivery man into the auditorium and directed film producer Harvey Weinstein to tip the delivery man.
"No pressure, only a billion people are watching, whatever you feel is right," she told Weinstein.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Warns Gareth Of Dire Consequences In New Promo [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements