Capital One Cup Final: We Want More Trophies, Says Pellegrini After Manchester City's Big Win over Sunderland
By Deepak Vikraman | March 3, 2014 4:42 PM EST
Manuel Pellegrini said Manchester City would not be satisfied with just one trophy this season, after seeing his side seal a come-from-behind 3-1 win over Sunderland in the Capital One Cup final at Wembley on Sunday.
City were staring at a second straight defeat at the famous ground, after their loss to Wigan in the FA Cup final last season, with Fabio Borini putting Sunderland 1-0 up in the first half courtesy a brilliant strike from a tight angle.
However, with 35 minutes left in the game, City's class showed with Yaya Toure firing a belter from 30 yards to equalise, before Samir Nasri curled a peach with the outside of his right foot to send the City fans at Wembley, who had been quiet for much of the game, into ecstasy.
Jesus Navas would add the icing on the cake in the final moments as City won their first piece of silverware this season, with Pellegrini's men still in with a shot of winning three more - the Champions League, English Premier League and FA Cup.
"For such an important club, to fail for the second time is not good," Pellegrini said referring to the FA Cup final defeat to Wigan last May. "Today [Sunday] it was very important for us to win after what happened last year.
"We had maybe not our best day in creating space but all of the team worked together without the ball -- Sunderland didn't have many chances to score -- they scored with their first chance. It's hard to play one goal down, you play against the time, against the opponents. Today they played the way they must play.
"We will evaluate the season in May -- we won today one trophy, I don't think that anybody can be allowed to think that's enough at a club like this -- we want to beat Wigan, then we will be in the semifinal again at Wembley in the FA Cup.
"You can never be satisfied with just one trophy with so many good players."
Meanwhile, Sunderland manager Gus Poyet was all praise for his players, who put in a commendable performance, and only fell short of picking up the club's first trophy in 41 years thanks to two glorious goals.
"I said all the way along, I wanted to see a team that showed the fans that we wanted to win the trophy and to have a go out there and I think we did that today," Poyet said. "We did very well, we gave Man City very few chances and we were good on the ball.
"Then we just hoped that no one would come along with something spectacular, unfortunately Yaya Toure scored an absolutely world-class goal and it completely changed the game.
"I told the players that I am very proud of them, they are very disappointed but I couldn't have asked for any more. Manchester City had that extra bit of class and it went in their favour."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff