Sorry Amir Khan! Adrien Broner Lined Up for Floyd Mayweather Jr in September; Broner vs. Khan in Welterweight Title Eliminator
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 3, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Former three-division world champion Adrien Broner will return in the ring in the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana showdown, and it appears he's going to be up against Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan.
Broner is looking for redemption after losing his WBA Welterweight title to Maidana in a 12-round slugfest in November. The 24-year-old fighter considered several candidates - including former welterweight title-holder Luis Collazo - for his next fight, before Khan challenged him to what could be a championship eliminator for the September fight with Mayweather.
"@FloydMayweather, tell @AdrienBroner to fight me on your card and when I beat him, you fight me next," Khan posted on his Twitter account.
Broner Could Fight May in September
There's no questioning Broner's matchup with Khan would be an intriguing match because of their superb boxing ability. After losing a shot to fight Mayweather this May, Khan wants another crack at the pound-for-pound king, and he has no problem using Broner's fight to catapult back to his contention.
Then again, Broner may end up beating Khan in that showdown. Broner is a near duplicate version of Mayweather, and he only needs some fine tuning for him to really reach his full potential.
Though Broner insisted he would never fight Big Brother, the pressure will become irresistible when he comes up with a win against Khan. Maidana, who has a slim chance of pulling off an upset against Mayweather, could be another option for Broner, but there's no more lucrative fight out there than the showdown with Money May.
Mayweather is expected to hang his gloves for good at the end of 2015. As Golden Boy promotions struggle to find a solid foe for Mayweather, it's a very logic to think that Broner will eventually be the anointed one. Golden Boy head Richard Schaefer apparently found no problem to arrange this clash.
"If I get that kind of pressure, and Mayweather gets that kind of pressure, and Broner gets that kind of pressure, then I think that's when that fight has the chance of happening, Schaefer said to RingTV. "I think that it can happen when the fans are going to really, really demand it...The kind of pressure is going have to be on Mayweather and on Broner, like it was on us to get Mayweather and Canelo."
Golden Boy. Make it happen!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report