Sorry Amir Khan! Adrien Broner Lined Up for Floyd Mayweather Jr in September; Broner vs. Khan in Welterweight Title Eliminator
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 3, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Former three-division world champion Adrien Broner will return in the ring in the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana showdown, and it appears he's going to be up against Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan.
Broner is looking for redemption after losing his WBA Welterweight title to Maidana in a 12-round slugfest in November. The 24-year-old fighter considered several candidates - including former welterweight title-holder Luis Collazo - for his next fight, before Khan challenged him to what could be a championship eliminator for the September fight with Mayweather.
"@FloydMayweather, tell @AdrienBroner to fight me on your card and when I beat him, you fight me next," Khan posted on his Twitter account.
Broner Could Fight May in September
There's no questioning Broner's matchup with Khan would be an intriguing match because of their superb boxing ability. After losing a shot to fight Mayweather this May, Khan wants another crack at the pound-for-pound king, and he has no problem using Broner's fight to catapult back to his contention.
Then again, Broner may end up beating Khan in that showdown. Broner is a near duplicate version of Mayweather, and he only needs some fine tuning for him to really reach his full potential.
Though Broner insisted he would never fight Big Brother, the pressure will become irresistible when he comes up with a win against Khan. Maidana, who has a slim chance of pulling off an upset against Mayweather, could be another option for Broner, but there's no more lucrative fight out there than the showdown with Money May.
Mayweather is expected to hang his gloves for good at the end of 2015. As Golden Boy promotions struggle to find a solid foe for Mayweather, it's a very logic to think that Broner will eventually be the anointed one. Golden Boy head Richard Schaefer apparently found no problem to arrange this clash.
"If I get that kind of pressure, and Mayweather gets that kind of pressure, and Broner gets that kind of pressure, then I think that's when that fight has the chance of happening, Schaefer said to RingTV. "I think that it can happen when the fans are going to really, really demand it...The kind of pressure is going have to be on Mayweather and on Broner, like it was on us to get Mayweather and Canelo."
Golden Boy. Make it happen!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans