Sorry Amir Khan! Adrien Broner Lined Up for Floyd Mayweather Jr in September; Broner vs. Khan in Welterweight Title Eliminator
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 3, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Former three-division world champion Adrien Broner will return in the ring in the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana showdown, and it appears he's going to be up against Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan.
Broner is looking for redemption after losing his WBA Welterweight title to Maidana in a 12-round slugfest in November. The 24-year-old fighter considered several candidates - including former welterweight title-holder Luis Collazo - for his next fight, before Khan challenged him to what could be a championship eliminator for the September fight with Mayweather.
"@FloydMayweather, tell @AdrienBroner to fight me on your card and when I beat him, you fight me next," Khan posted on his Twitter account.
Broner Could Fight May in September
There's no questioning Broner's matchup with Khan would be an intriguing match because of their superb boxing ability. After losing a shot to fight Mayweather this May, Khan wants another crack at the pound-for-pound king, and he has no problem using Broner's fight to catapult back to his contention.
Then again, Broner may end up beating Khan in that showdown. Broner is a near duplicate version of Mayweather, and he only needs some fine tuning for him to really reach his full potential.
Though Broner insisted he would never fight Big Brother, the pressure will become irresistible when he comes up with a win against Khan. Maidana, who has a slim chance of pulling off an upset against Mayweather, could be another option for Broner, but there's no more lucrative fight out there than the showdown with Money May.
Mayweather is expected to hang his gloves for good at the end of 2015. As Golden Boy promotions struggle to find a solid foe for Mayweather, it's a very logic to think that Broner will eventually be the anointed one. Golden Boy head Richard Schaefer apparently found no problem to arrange this clash.
"If I get that kind of pressure, and Mayweather gets that kind of pressure, and Broner gets that kind of pressure, then I think that's when that fight has the chance of happening, Schaefer said to RingTV. "I think that it can happen when the fans are going to really, really demand it...The kind of pressure is going have to be on Mayweather and on Broner, like it was on us to get Mayweather and Canelo."
Golden Boy. Make it happen!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate