Sorry Amir Khan! Adrien Broner Lined Up for Floyd Mayweather Jr in September; Broner vs. Khan in Welterweight Title Eliminator
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 3, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Former three-division world champion Adrien Broner will return in the ring in the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana showdown, and it appears he's going to be up against Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan.
Broner is looking for redemption after losing his WBA Welterweight title to Maidana in a 12-round slugfest in November. The 24-year-old fighter considered several candidates - including former welterweight title-holder Luis Collazo - for his next fight, before Khan challenged him to what could be a championship eliminator for the September fight with Mayweather.
"@FloydMayweather, tell @AdrienBroner to fight me on your card and when I beat him, you fight me next," Khan posted on his Twitter account.
Broner Could Fight May in September
There's no questioning Broner's matchup with Khan would be an intriguing match because of their superb boxing ability. After losing a shot to fight Mayweather this May, Khan wants another crack at the pound-for-pound king, and he has no problem using Broner's fight to catapult back to his contention.
Then again, Broner may end up beating Khan in that showdown. Broner is a near duplicate version of Mayweather, and he only needs some fine tuning for him to really reach his full potential.
Though Broner insisted he would never fight Big Brother, the pressure will become irresistible when he comes up with a win against Khan. Maidana, who has a slim chance of pulling off an upset against Mayweather, could be another option for Broner, but there's no more lucrative fight out there than the showdown with Money May.
Mayweather is expected to hang his gloves for good at the end of 2015. As Golden Boy promotions struggle to find a solid foe for Mayweather, it's a very logic to think that Broner will eventually be the anointed one. Golden Boy head Richard Schaefer apparently found no problem to arrange this clash.
"If I get that kind of pressure, and Mayweather gets that kind of pressure, and Broner gets that kind of pressure, then I think that's when that fight has the chance of happening, Schaefer said to RingTV. "I think that it can happen when the fans are going to really, really demand it...The kind of pressure is going have to be on Mayweather and on Broner, like it was on us to get Mayweather and Canelo."
Golden Boy. Make it happen!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More