Sorry Amir Khan! Adrien Broner Lined Up for Floyd Mayweather Jr in September; Broner vs. Khan in Welterweight Title Eliminator
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 3, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Former three-division world champion Adrien Broner will return in the ring in the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana showdown, and it appears he's going to be up against Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan.
Broner is looking for redemption after losing his WBA Welterweight title to Maidana in a 12-round slugfest in November. The 24-year-old fighter considered several candidates - including former welterweight title-holder Luis Collazo - for his next fight, before Khan challenged him to what could be a championship eliminator for the September fight with Mayweather.
"@FloydMayweather, tell @AdrienBroner to fight me on your card and when I beat him, you fight me next," Khan posted on his Twitter account.
Broner Could Fight May in September
There's no questioning Broner's matchup with Khan would be an intriguing match because of their superb boxing ability. After losing a shot to fight Mayweather this May, Khan wants another crack at the pound-for-pound king, and he has no problem using Broner's fight to catapult back to his contention.
Then again, Broner may end up beating Khan in that showdown. Broner is a near duplicate version of Mayweather, and he only needs some fine tuning for him to really reach his full potential.
Though Broner insisted he would never fight Big Brother, the pressure will become irresistible when he comes up with a win against Khan. Maidana, who has a slim chance of pulling off an upset against Mayweather, could be another option for Broner, but there's no more lucrative fight out there than the showdown with Money May.
Mayweather is expected to hang his gloves for good at the end of 2015. As Golden Boy promotions struggle to find a solid foe for Mayweather, it's a very logic to think that Broner will eventually be the anointed one. Golden Boy head Richard Schaefer apparently found no problem to arrange this clash.
"If I get that kind of pressure, and Mayweather gets that kind of pressure, and Broner gets that kind of pressure, then I think that's when that fight has the chance of happening, Schaefer said to RingTV. "I think that it can happen when the fans are going to really, really demand it...The kind of pressure is going have to be on Mayweather and on Broner, like it was on us to get Mayweather and Canelo."
Golden Boy. Make it happen!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015