Bruce Springsteen In Auckland: The Boss Covers Lorde’s ‘Royals’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | March 3, 2014 4:13 PM EST
Bruce Springsteen has paid Auckland a rare honour by singing a cover of the city’s current teen queen. The Boss sang his version of “Royals” while in the 17-year-old songstress’ home city on Saturday.
The 64-year-old music legend played an acoustic version of the Grammy Award-winning track at his Auckland concert at the Mt Smart Stadium, changing a few lines of the lyrics, including “you can call me queen bee” to “you can call me king bee.”
There have been countless covers of Lorde’s “Royals,” but Springsteen’s is arguably one of the best. He did not just sing the super catchy song, he put his own spin to it, making it his own.
His audience seemed to love his cover, and if Lorde herself has heard it, it’s a sure bet that she would love it, too.
The Mr Smart Stadium show marked Springsteen’s second live appearance in New Zealand. His first was 11 years ago.
If The Boss’ “Royals” is considered one of the best, then T-Pain’s auto-tuned version is one of the worst. The U.S. rapper, together with Young Cash, completely changed the song’s lyrics and message.
Here are other celebrities covering “Royals”
Walk Off The Earth:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’