Bruce Springsteen In Auckland: The Boss Covers Lorde’s ‘Royals’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | March 3, 2014 4:13 PM EST
Bruce Springsteen has paid Auckland a rare honour by singing a cover of the city’s current teen queen. The Boss sang his version of “Royals” while in the 17-year-old songstress’ home city on Saturday.
The 64-year-old music legend played an acoustic version of the Grammy Award-winning track at his Auckland concert at the Mt Smart Stadium, changing a few lines of the lyrics, including “you can call me queen bee” to “you can call me king bee.”
There have been countless covers of Lorde’s “Royals,” but Springsteen’s is arguably one of the best. He did not just sing the super catchy song, he put his own spin to it, making it his own.
His audience seemed to love his cover, and if Lorde herself has heard it, it’s a sure bet that she would love it, too.
The Mr Smart Stadium show marked Springsteen’s second live appearance in New Zealand. His first was 11 years ago.
If The Boss’ “Royals” is considered one of the best, then T-Pain’s auto-tuned version is one of the worst. The U.S. rapper, together with Young Cash, completely changed the song’s lyrics and message.
Here are other celebrities covering “Royals”
Walk Off The Earth:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 Winner Revealed: Celebs And Eliminated Contestants React Plus Who Will Mentor In Season 8
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 10 Update: Air Date, Hints, Oliver Queen's Return Theories [Spoilers, Review]
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Finals/ Finale Results Recap: And The Winner Is… (Spoilers)
- Kate Middleton News: The Duchess Glams Up In Queen’s Christmas Lunch After Controversial Hoodie [PHOTOS]
- Kourtney Kardashian Bans Family From Delivery Room, Wants Scott Disick To Pass Sobriety Test