Lupita Nyong'o Owns the 86th Academy Awards: From Supporting Actress Win to Best Dressed, Hear Her Emotional Acceptance Speech [SEE PICTURES/VIDEO]
March 3, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Lupita Nyong'o Owns the 86th Academy Awards: From Supporting Actress Win To Best Dressed, Hear Her Emotional Acceptance Speech [SEE PICTURES/VIDEO]
"12 Years A Slave" actress Lupita Nyong'o has beaten none other than Jennifer Lawrence to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the 86th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday night. Nyong'o plays the role of a tortured black slave in the Steve McQueen film and she has been applauded for her role. The 31-year-old actress looked stunning and flawless as she arrived on the Red Carpet.
The gorgeous actress, who is rumoured to be dating actor Jared Leto, arrived at the red carpet wearing a custom Prada light blue silk georgette gown with a plunging neckline and low cut sides. Lupita completed her look with satin platform sandals and a simple clutch. But what was most striking about the flawless actress was her headband which started trending on Twitter too.
Lupita wore a gold and diamond headband from Fred Leighton and it suited her well. Lupita's gown was of blue colour and she told radio host Ryan Seacrest in one of her previous interviews that it reminded her of Nairobi. Hence #Nairobiblue began trending.
Lupita was nominated in the supporting-actress category for her work in "12 Years a Slave." This is not the first time that the actress has won the Best Supporting Actress Award for her movie. She also won BAFTA Award some time back. Nyong'o is the 7th Black woman to win an Oscar. Hattie McDaniel won Oscar 75 years earlier and she was the first, according to a magazine For Harriet.
Lupita gave an emotional tear-jerker speech as she accepted her first ever Oscar Award. "No matter where you're from, your dreams are valid," the actress said as she accepted the Best Supporting actress award.
"It doesn't escape me that so much joy in my life has come from so much pain in someone else's," the actress said in her acceptance speech. Lupita dedicated the award to the real life slave she played on screen, after receiving a standing ovation from the audience. Hear her emotional speech below in the video and also see her gorgeous pictures in the slideshow above.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2