Lupita Nyong'o Owns the 86th Academy Awards: From Supporting Actress Win to Best Dressed, Hear Her Emotional Acceptance Speech [SEE PICTURES/VIDEO]
March 3, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Lupita Nyong'o Owns the 86th Academy Awards: From Supporting Actress Win To Best Dressed, Hear Her Emotional Acceptance Speech [SEE PICTURES/VIDEO]
"12 Years A Slave" actress Lupita Nyong'o has beaten none other than Jennifer Lawrence to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the 86th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday night. Nyong'o plays the role of a tortured black slave in the Steve McQueen film and she has been applauded for her role. The 31-year-old actress looked stunning and flawless as she arrived on the Red Carpet.
The gorgeous actress, who is rumoured to be dating actor Jared Leto, arrived at the red carpet wearing a custom Prada light blue silk georgette gown with a plunging neckline and low cut sides. Lupita completed her look with satin platform sandals and a simple clutch. But what was most striking about the flawless actress was her headband which started trending on Twitter too.
Lupita wore a gold and diamond headband from Fred Leighton and it suited her well. Lupita's gown was of blue colour and she told radio host Ryan Seacrest in one of her previous interviews that it reminded her of Nairobi. Hence #Nairobiblue began trending.
Lupita was nominated in the supporting-actress category for her work in "12 Years a Slave." This is not the first time that the actress has won the Best Supporting Actress Award for her movie. She also won BAFTA Award some time back. Nyong'o is the 7th Black woman to win an Oscar. Hattie McDaniel won Oscar 75 years earlier and she was the first, according to a magazine For Harriet.
Lupita gave an emotional tear-jerker speech as she accepted her first ever Oscar Award. "No matter where you're from, your dreams are valid," the actress said as she accepted the Best Supporting actress award.
"It doesn't escape me that so much joy in my life has come from so much pain in someone else's," the actress said in her acceptance speech. Lupita dedicated the award to the real life slave she played on screen, after receiving a standing ovation from the audience. Hear her emotional speech below in the video and also see her gorgeous pictures in the slideshow above.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine