Lupita Nyong'o Owns the 86th Academy Awards: From Supporting Actress Win to Best Dressed, Hear Her Emotional Acceptance Speech [SEE PICTURES/VIDEO]
March 3, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Lupita Nyong'o Owns the 86th Academy Awards: From Supporting Actress Win To Best Dressed, Hear Her Emotional Acceptance Speech [SEE PICTURES/VIDEO]
"12 Years A Slave" actress Lupita Nyong'o has beaten none other than Jennifer Lawrence to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the 86th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday night. Nyong'o plays the role of a tortured black slave in the Steve McQueen film and she has been applauded for her role. The 31-year-old actress looked stunning and flawless as she arrived on the Red Carpet.
The gorgeous actress, who is rumoured to be dating actor Jared Leto, arrived at the red carpet wearing a custom Prada light blue silk georgette gown with a plunging neckline and low cut sides. Lupita completed her look with satin platform sandals and a simple clutch. But what was most striking about the flawless actress was her headband which started trending on Twitter too.
Lupita wore a gold and diamond headband from Fred Leighton and it suited her well. Lupita's gown was of blue colour and she told radio host Ryan Seacrest in one of her previous interviews that it reminded her of Nairobi. Hence #Nairobiblue began trending.
Lupita was nominated in the supporting-actress category for her work in "12 Years a Slave." This is not the first time that the actress has won the Best Supporting Actress Award for her movie. She also won BAFTA Award some time back. Nyong'o is the 7th Black woman to win an Oscar. Hattie McDaniel won Oscar 75 years earlier and she was the first, according to a magazine For Harriet.
Lupita gave an emotional tear-jerker speech as she accepted her first ever Oscar Award. "No matter where you're from, your dreams are valid," the actress said as she accepted the Best Supporting actress award.
"It doesn't escape me that so much joy in my life has come from so much pain in someone else's," the actress said in her acceptance speech. Lupita dedicated the award to the real life slave she played on screen, after receiving a standing ovation from the audience. Hear her emotional speech below in the video and also see her gorgeous pictures in the slideshow above.
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]