Pakistan Rules out India With a Sensational Win
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 3, 2014 2:53 PM EST
In a nerve-wrecking battle at the Asia Cup 2014, Pakistan came out victorious after they defeated the archrival India by just 1 wicket. Flamboyant innings from Mohammed Hafeez scoring 75 out of 117 deliveries, followed by Shahid Afridi adding quick 34 out of 18 deliveries in the most decisive moment, placed Pakistan in the forefront of the tournament.
Pakistan's cricket team celebrate after they won the final match against Bangladesh at the Asia Cup Cricket Tournament in Dhaka March 22, 2012.
Pakistan won the toss and decided to field first. India though started well slowly crumbled as they lost two most crucial wickets of Shikhar Dhawan (10) and Virat Kohli (5) at the initial stage. The middle-order batsmen also could not keep with superb bowling from Mohammed Hafeez and Saeed Ajmal. However, it was Rayudu (58) and Ravindra Jadeja (52) who helped India to retain the balance and reach a descent total of 245 in 8 wickets.
India's weak bowling line-up this tournament costs dearly as Pakistan took every opportunity to step-up further and reach the victory. A steady start at the second innings - the opening duo of Sharjeel Khan (25) and Ahmed Shahzad (42) put India in a bit of frustration. Kudos to Legspinner Amit Mishra who did a fantastic job to keep Pakistan under check, but amazing innings from Mohammed Hafeez and Shahid Afridi shattered Indian teams at the end. This loss has put India virtually out of the tournament as they now have to rely on statistical ground based upon their forthcoming match with Afghanistan.
The match was tight and despite India's valiant efforts they were unable to retain the pressure when the key bowlers exhausted with their quota and left only Virat Kohli, R Ashwin and Bhuvneshwar Kumar remained to bowl for last three overs. This became the most decisive factor in the game and Afridi took every opportunity of this moment.
Pakistan needed 10 runs in the last over when Saeed Ajmal walked back to pavilion right at the very first ball of the over. The last man Junaid Khan took a run to give strike to Afridi who put two consecutive sixers to clinch the victory.
This is Pakistan's second win in all three matches played so far and have reached the top of the charts with Sri Lanka at the second position, followed by India, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]