Pakistan Rules out India With a Sensational Win
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 3, 2014 2:53 PM EST
In a nerve-wrecking battle at the Asia Cup 2014, Pakistan came out victorious after they defeated the archrival India by just 1 wicket. Flamboyant innings from Mohammed Hafeez scoring 75 out of 117 deliveries, followed by Shahid Afridi adding quick 34 out of 18 deliveries in the most decisive moment, placed Pakistan in the forefront of the tournament.
Pakistan's cricket team celebrate after they won the final match against Bangladesh at the Asia Cup Cricket Tournament in Dhaka March 22, 2012.
Pakistan won the toss and decided to field first. India though started well slowly crumbled as they lost two most crucial wickets of Shikhar Dhawan (10) and Virat Kohli (5) at the initial stage. The middle-order batsmen also could not keep with superb bowling from Mohammed Hafeez and Saeed Ajmal. However, it was Rayudu (58) and Ravindra Jadeja (52) who helped India to retain the balance and reach a descent total of 245 in 8 wickets.
India's weak bowling line-up this tournament costs dearly as Pakistan took every opportunity to step-up further and reach the victory. A steady start at the second innings - the opening duo of Sharjeel Khan (25) and Ahmed Shahzad (42) put India in a bit of frustration. Kudos to Legspinner Amit Mishra who did a fantastic job to keep Pakistan under check, but amazing innings from Mohammed Hafeez and Shahid Afridi shattered Indian teams at the end. This loss has put India virtually out of the tournament as they now have to rely on statistical ground based upon their forthcoming match with Afghanistan.
The match was tight and despite India's valiant efforts they were unable to retain the pressure when the key bowlers exhausted with their quota and left only Virat Kohli, R Ashwin and Bhuvneshwar Kumar remained to bowl for last three overs. This became the most decisive factor in the game and Afridi took every opportunity of this moment.
Pakistan needed 10 runs in the last over when Saeed Ajmal walked back to pavilion right at the very first ball of the over. The last man Junaid Khan took a run to give strike to Afridi who put two consecutive sixers to clinch the victory.
This is Pakistan's second win in all three matches played so far and have reached the top of the charts with Sri Lanka at the second position, followed by India, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks