New Zealand Warned of Possible Dengue Fever Outbreak Following Fiji Spate
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 3, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Health authorities in New Zealand are warning Kiwis of a possible dengue outbreak following the spate of the disease in Fiji which has already killed three people in the island nation in the South Pacific Ocean. Fiji hospitals have been reported to be swamped with more than 2,000 cases.
All four known serotypes of the virus are for the first time very much active in the region, essentially ushering the most severe and potentially deadly dengue haemorrhagic fever.
As of December 2013 alone, dengue cases in New Zealand have jumped 41 per cent month on month, most coming from Auckland.
Fiji has 2,589 confirmed cases of dengue to date. Its Ministry of Information overruled the breakout will spread to tourists or foreign visitors. Most of the dengue cases currently swiping at the in the island nation were found at Suva. The main resort island of Denarau, its lucrative tourist belt, had recorded no cases so far.
Still, Kiwis ought to be prepared anytime, Dr Mary McIntyre, of the University of Otago's Ecology and Health Laboratory in Wellington, said.
"We are creating situations that make things easier for those pests and pathogens that already cause us woe," TVNZ quoted Ms McIntyre.
The mosquito responsible for bringing the virus has travel, trade and land use as options to bring in the virus.
"A warmer climate means that foreign mosquitoes can move into areas that were previously too cool, where they usually replace native ones," she said.
She advised New Zealanders who get dengue abroad but recovered back home are "at risk of a more serious haemorrhagic condition [if] reinfected in the future with a different strain of dengue virus."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS