Calgary Drivers Empowered By App on Looming Gas Price Adjustment
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 3, 2014 1:35 PM EST
Lucky drivers in Calgary, Alberta in Canada. An app informed them about a looming gas price adjustment, essentially empowering them at the right time on Thursday to manage the situation, their gas supplies as well as their expenses.
Gasoline prices are shown at a gas station in Del Mar, California March 9, 2011.
The app known as "Gas Buddy" had been closely monitoring and conducting careful analysis of retail and wholesale prices. It had saved commuter members as it had become adept at predicting when price increases are likely to occur.
"They tend not to hike on the weekend, it's usually Thursday. Before the weekend is a popular day to hike the price in Calgary," Jason Towes from Gas Buddy said.
True enough, prices of gas shot eight cents a litre to $1.20 in Calgary, a metropolis of nearly 1.1 million people. Gas Buddy non-members were of course aghast.
"We have a history of the wholesale prices and retail prices, and we know that when the gas stations' margins get to a certain point they're going to raise their prices," Mr Towes said. "That's what happened this time."
As with most apps, Gas Buddy works to alert commuters of upcoming gas price boosts so that members can get to enjoy the window to refill stocks at lower prices.
Jason Parent, petroleum price analyst, said Canadians might as well expect gas prices to continue rising.
"What happens sometimes in the retail market is the retailers are unwilling to make the first move to raise their prices to retain market share," Mr Parent said. "They tend to hold that price until their markets get squeezed and it gets unsustainable for them, and you see a large jump in price."
Prices of gas in the Canadian market have been had been steadily dropping since May 2013, but had jumped 30 cents per liter over a three week period.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone