Khan Still Appeals for Mayweather Fight, Why is the British Boxer so Desperate?
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 3, 2014 11:07 AM EST
Amir Khan is not going to stop trying to squabble a deal for a fight with Floyd Mayweather. Even though the 27-year-old British boxer has delved on to other options as far as his next opponent is concerned when Marcos Maidana got the fight with Mayweather on May 3, he is not giving up on eventually landing a fight with the undefeated boxer.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
"@FloydMayweather, tell @AdrienBroner to fight me on your card and when I beat him, you fight me next," Khan wrote on Twitter.
Khan beat Maidana in December 2010. Three years later, Maidana fought and won against Broner. Does Khan think that beating Broner would interest Mayweather to fight him? Khan has gone way too much in his attempt to land a fight with Mayweather and he ended up losing it altogether. He had been begging Mayweather for so long, sending the American boxer contracts and all, but at the end of the day, he still didn't get what he wanted. Now, Khan is doing it again, offering deals and looking desperate just so Mayweather would notice him.
Khan has already released his official statement but speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, he has also voiced out his frustrations. He said that he is very upset that the fight did not take place. According to the British Olympic boxing gold medalist, many boxing fans all over the world were eager to witness the fight.
"It's a setback for me because it's a fight I've been looking at for the last couple of months."
Khan canceled a world title bout with Devon Alexander in December because he was made to believe that he was going to get the Mayweather fight for sure.
"Contracts were sent to Floyd and his team," he said.
"I thought back in December, it was going to be announced, maybe in January or February, that I was going to fight Floyd Mayweather."
Mayweather's clash with Maidana on May 3 is the third fight of his six-fight contract with Showtime, a fight contract that is believed to be the richest that an individual athlete has signed in across all sports. Sky Sports reported Golden Boy Promotions Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer said that Mayweather will have to face Khan sooner or later. However, it is still unknown when the fight with will happen. According to the Web site, the realisation of a Mayweather-Khan bout will depend on how the British boxer will do on his upcoming one or two fights.
"I saw Floyd on Monday night at the Los Angeles Lakers basketball game and he was telling me, 'tell Amir Khan that it's not going to happen now, but it will happen,'" said Schaefer.
With that being said, the idea that Mayweather will fight Khan in the future could probably calm the British boxer down for now.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28