Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 3/3/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | March 3, 2014 10:51 AM EST
US 5.50am MORNING REPORT
In US economic data, preliminary figures showed the US economy grew at a 2.4% annual rate in the December quarter, just short of forecasts but down from the 3.2% ´´flash´´ reading. Consumer sentiment rose from 81.2 to 81.6 in February. Pending home sales rose by 0.1% in January. And the Chicago purchasing managers index rose from 59.6 to 59.8 in February.
In China, the ´´official´´ purchasing managers index eased from 50.5 to 50.2, but was above the 50.1 consensus forecast.
European shares generally rose on Friday with worries over the political situation in the Ukraine capping sentiment. The FTSEurofirst 300 index rose by 0.2% with the UK FTSE down by less than 0.1% while the German Dax gained 1.1%. Mining shares were mixed in London trade with BHP Billiton up by 0.1% while Rio Tinto lost 0.8%.
US blue-chip shares rose on Friday with the S&P 500 at fresh record highs. But worries about the political situation in the Ukraine capped gains. At the close of trade, the US Dow Jones was up by 49 points or 0.3% with the S&P 500 up by 0.3% while the Nasdaq eased by almost 11 points or 0.3%. For the month, the Dow rose 4%, the S&P 500 gained 4.3% and the Nasdaq rose 5%. For the week, the Dow was up 1.4%, the S&P 500 was up 1.3% and the Nasdaq rose 1%.
US treasury prices were mixed on Friday as investors weighed up latest economic data and tensions between Russia and western nations over the Ukraine. US 2 year yields fell 1 point to 0.325% while US 10 year yields rose by 1 point to 2.65%. Over the week US 2 year yields were flat and US 10 year yields fell by 9 points.
Major currencies were mixed against the greenback over the European and US sessions. The Euro lifted from lows near US$1.3695 to US$1.3825 and was near US$1.3800 in afternoon US trade. The Aussie dollar fell from highs near US89.65c to lows near US89.10c, and was around US89.25c in afternoon US trade. And the Japanese yen held between 101.57 yen per US dollar to JPY102.25 and was trading near JPY101.79 in afternoon US trade. This morning the Euro is at US$1.3780, Aussie at US89.05c and Japanese yen at JPY101.50 per USD.
World oil prices rose modestly on Friday. Brent crude rose by US11c to US$109.07 a barrel while US Nymex crude rose by US19c to US$102.59 a barrel. Over the week Brent fell by US78c but Nymex rose by US39c.
Base metal prices were mixed on the London Metal Exchange on Friday. Nickel rose 1.9% and zinc rose 1.3% but other metals fell up to 0.8%. Over the week, zinc, tin and nickel rose up to 3.2% while other metals fell. The Comex gold futures price fell on end-month profit-taking on Friday, down by US$10.20 or 0.8% to US$1,321.60 per ounce. Gold rose 6.5% in February. Iron ore rose by US10c on Friday to US$118.10 a tonne but fell US$4.30 on the week.
Ahead: In Australia, the home value index, Performance of Manufacturing index, inflation gauge, job ads and ABS Business indicators are released. In the US, personal income, auto sales, construction spending and the ISM manufacturing index are released.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon