Capital One Cup Final Results: Fantastic Toure, Nasri Strikes Give Manchester City Epic Win over Sunderland
By Deepak Vikraman | March 3, 2014 3:34 AM EST
For 55 minutes, Sunderland looked like they were on their way to a first trophy in 42 years, frustrating, and outthinking Manchester City in the Capital One Cup final to great effect at Wembley.
But then, City do not have all those high-earning world-class players in their lineup for no reason.
First stepped Yaya Toure, to fire a nonchalant - for him - stunner from 30 yards, with Samir I-left-Arsenal-to-win-trophies Nasri, curling an equally brilliant strike with the outside of his right foot to put City from 1-0 down to 2-1 up in the space of a minute.
"It was unbelievable," Toure told Sky Sports. "We needed to win today, it was very important. Sunderland made it difficult for us in the first half. It's unbelievable and we deserve it. The final is only one game, you need to enjoy it, and today we showed we have a great team."
Those two quickfire goals punctured Sunderland's hearts, and Jesus Navas added the gloss for City in the final minute to complete a thoroughly satisfying day for Manuel Pellegrini's men, after it had seemed like going all wrong following a brilliant finish from Fabio Borini in the first half.
"We're terribly disappointed," Sunderland defender John O'Shea said. "We started the game exactly how we wanted to. We counter-attacked great, scored a fantastic goal.
"They've scored a great goal to get back into it. He stuck it in the top corner from 30 yards out and we lost a bit of organisation for a few minutes and it cost us the second goal. City finished very strong. We have a huge test for the rest of the season and we have to pick ourselves up quickly and I'm sure we will."
Goalscorer Nasri was understandably over the moon after helping City to the title, and the former Arsenal midfielder believes this team is capable of winning a few more before the season ends.
"So much joy, so much pride as well," Nasri said. "I lost the two finals that I played here before. Today it was really important to win.
"In the second half, we came with intention and scored three goals. I hope this cup is going to bring some others. We were still confident [at halftime]. We said we needed to stay calm and remain focused, play higher up and play with more tempo and that's what we did.
"We want to win everything. We're going to compete for the league, the FA Cup and we're going to try to make something in the Champions League. I hope this is going to bring confidence and we'll fight until the end."
City have now locked up one piece of silverware, with three more in sight. The Champions League looks difficult with Barcelona waiting at the Camp Nou with a 2-0 lead, but the English Premier League and the FA Cup are definitely theirs for the taking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports