And the Oscar Goes to? Last Minute Predictions ahead of 86th Academy Awards
By Johnlee Varghese | March 3, 2014 1:17 AM EST
The red carpet has been rolled out at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and, in all probability, the nominees are preparing their acceptance speeches.
As widely reported, the year 2013 saw some of the best films, which means it is going to be a tough decision for the jury. For the Best Picture, "12 Years a Slave" is the favorite. "Gravity" might give it some tough competition but in the end, "12 Years a Slave" has a strong chance of winning Best Picture, especially considering how it sweeped the Golden Globe and BAFTA.
In the Best Director category, the nominations have presented quite a challenging task. With stalwards such as David O Russell "American Hustle", Alfonso Cuaron "Gravity", Alexander Payne "Nebraska", Steve McQueen "12 Years a Slave" and Martin Scorsese "The Wolf of Wall Street" all vying for the Academy Awards for Best Director, chosing one certainly will be daunting task. But topping the speculation lists is Cuaron as "Gravity" speaks volumes on the craft of the director.
Meanwhile, in the Best Actor category, Matthew McConaughey, for his splended role in "Dallas Buyers Club", is fast emerging a winner. And it means that once again Leonardo DiCaprio might end up unlucky. His performance in "The Wolf of Wall Street" has certainly been critically appreciated but that may not materialize into a sure shot Oscar win this year
Even in the Best Actress category, there is just one name that has been on the top of the list since the nominations were announced - Cate Blanchett. The actress played a socialite fallen on hard times in Woody Allen's homage to Tennessee Williams "Blue Jasmine". And since her BAFTAS win last month, she has only strengthened her case for the 86th Academy Awards.
The jury could face more challenge in choosing the Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress. For actor, Michael Fassbender - for his role in "12 Years A Slave" - did run as top choice for some time but now Jared Leto of "Dallas Buyers Club" seems to be closing in on the title.
Similarly, in the Best Supporting Actress category, Lupita Nyong'o "12 Years a Slave" and Jennifer Lawrence "American Hustle" are equally qualified. But now it will be on the jury to give their final word.
The clock is ticking, and let's wait and watch who the Oscars go to!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display