Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Admits Maidana Bout Will Be a Difficult Fight; Explains Choice of Argentinean Boxer Over Khan (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 2, 2014 11:30 PM EST
British boxer Amir Khan was definitely pissed off by Floyd Mayweather's decision last week to ditch him in favour of Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana despite his winning an online poll created by Money May.
Floyd Mayweather Jr could fight either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana
Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Plans a Bradley Knock Out in April 12 Rematch; Boxing Expert Gives Bradley Slim or Zero Chances of Win (VIDEOS)
Boxing News 2014: Manny Pacquiao Docu Premiers in March at Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Texas; Narrator Liam Neeson Mimics Pacman (VIDEOS)
Mayweather's recent statement to Boxing Scene will likely fuel further Khan's anger because the pound-for-pound boxer said that Maidana is the better choice over Khan. In fact, Mayweather admits their May 3 welterweight bout would be a difficult fight for him.
Explaining his decision, Money May said, "Maidana came back very impressive; (he's had) a lot of great wins lately, whereas Amir Khan is 2-2 in his last four fights. That's all there is to it."
Mayweather said he took notice of Maidana's performance when the Argentinean boxer beat Adrien Broner - Mayweather's protégé and unbeaten until December 2013 - winning 6 of his 7 last fights.
He said Maidana is a boxer "he can't overlook."
There are speculations that Mayweather, at 37, will soon retire from boxing. He told Steve Farhood of Showtime that his dream fight is either with Julio Cesar Chavez or Roberto Duran. Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao is noticeably not included in his bucket list.
Boxer Oscar de la Hoya agreed that the Mayweather-Maidana bout would be a terrific one.
However, Ricky Hatton disagrees. He said Mayweather cheated boxing fans of a competitive fight with Khan who could probably render Money May his first defeat. Mayweather had previously admitted he avoided battling Pacquiao for fear of losing his undefeated status just when he is ready to hang his boxing gloves.
Hatton explained, quoted by The Manchester Evening News, "I like Maidana. He is a big puncher and he's all action, but I don't see that he has any of the qualities that could trouble Floyd. Style-wise it's a mismatch. He's just a smaller Alvarez with less boxing ability. I don't see how he's going to harm Floyd unless he lands one on the chin - and we all know how hard he is to hit."
Hatton added, "Amir might be the only fighter out there who is as fast as him and even if Floyd did win, he might not come out of it looking very good."
Hatton's analysis appears to support Money May's admission he only picks fighters who are inferior to him to ensure he keeps the undefeated status until he retires from the boxing ring.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports