New York the Billionaire Capital of the World, Bill Gates the Richest Man
By Johnlee Varghese | March 2, 2014 8:15 PM EST
Taking the title away from Moscow for the first time, New York is now officially the billionaire capital of the world.
In the 2014 list, the US ranks number one with 481 billionaires; 72 more than that of the 2013 list. The combined wealth of the US billionaires is said to be US$2.2 trillion.
The report also notes that 84 of the US billionaires live in 'the Big Apple', showing an increase of 14 from last year. After New York, the highest concentration of billionaires in the US are seen in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The US is also the world’s capital for immigrant billionaires, with 42 of them in the list.
Meanwhile, China added 41 new billionaires this year to consolidate its second position with 358 billionaires. Russia comes in third position with 103 billionaires; 16 more than 2013. The UK rose to fourth position from fifth place with 78 billionaires, 22 more than 2013.
India also rose to fifth position with 70 billionaires, 17 more than 2013.
In the Top Ten - Hurun Global Rich List, seven are from the US. At 59, Bill Gates is at the top of the wealthiest men list with a fortune of US$68 billion, with an increase of US$14 billion than that of last year.
Warren Buffett, 84, and Amancio Ortega, 78, are in the second and third place in the list, for the second consecutive year, growing 10% and 13% to US$64 billion and US$62 billion respectively.
Carlos Slim Helu, 75, lost the top spot that he had been holding for the past two years, after seeing his wealth drop by US$6 billion, mainly on the back of a 9% drop in the value of the Mexican telecommunication company America Movil and a weak Mexican Peso (currency of Mexico).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29