New York the Billionaire Capital of the World, Bill Gates the Richest Man
By Johnlee Varghese | March 2, 2014 8:15 PM EST
Taking the title away from Moscow for the first time, New York is now officially the billionaire capital of the world.
In the 2014 list, the US ranks number one with 481 billionaires; 72 more than that of the 2013 list. The combined wealth of the US billionaires is said to be US$2.2 trillion.
The report also notes that 84 of the US billionaires live in 'the Big Apple', showing an increase of 14 from last year. After New York, the highest concentration of billionaires in the US are seen in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The US is also the world’s capital for immigrant billionaires, with 42 of them in the list.
Meanwhile, China added 41 new billionaires this year to consolidate its second position with 358 billionaires. Russia comes in third position with 103 billionaires; 16 more than 2013. The UK rose to fourth position from fifth place with 78 billionaires, 22 more than 2013.
India also rose to fifth position with 70 billionaires, 17 more than 2013.
In the Top Ten - Hurun Global Rich List, seven are from the US. At 59, Bill Gates is at the top of the wealthiest men list with a fortune of US$68 billion, with an increase of US$14 billion than that of last year.
Warren Buffett, 84, and Amancio Ortega, 78, are in the second and third place in the list, for the second consecutive year, growing 10% and 13% to US$64 billion and US$62 billion respectively.
Carlos Slim Helu, 75, lost the top spot that he had been holding for the past two years, after seeing his wealth drop by US$6 billion, mainly on the back of a 9% drop in the value of the Mexican telecommunication company America Movil and a weak Mexican Peso (currency of Mexico).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys