New York the Billionaire Capital of the World, Bill Gates the Richest Man
By Johnlee Varghese | March 2, 2014 8:15 PM EST
Taking the title away from Moscow for the first time, New York is now officially the billionaire capital of the world.
In the 2014 list, the US ranks number one with 481 billionaires; 72 more than that of the 2013 list. The combined wealth of the US billionaires is said to be US$2.2 trillion.
The report also notes that 84 of the US billionaires live in 'the Big Apple', showing an increase of 14 from last year. After New York, the highest concentration of billionaires in the US are seen in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The US is also the world’s capital for immigrant billionaires, with 42 of them in the list.
Meanwhile, China added 41 new billionaires this year to consolidate its second position with 358 billionaires. Russia comes in third position with 103 billionaires; 16 more than 2013. The UK rose to fourth position from fifth place with 78 billionaires, 22 more than 2013.
India also rose to fifth position with 70 billionaires, 17 more than 2013.
In the Top Ten - Hurun Global Rich List, seven are from the US. At 59, Bill Gates is at the top of the wealthiest men list with a fortune of US$68 billion, with an increase of US$14 billion than that of last year.
Warren Buffett, 84, and Amancio Ortega, 78, are in the second and third place in the list, for the second consecutive year, growing 10% and 13% to US$64 billion and US$62 billion respectively.
Carlos Slim Helu, 75, lost the top spot that he had been holding for the past two years, after seeing his wealth drop by US$6 billion, mainly on the back of a 9% drop in the value of the Mexican telecommunication company America Movil and a weak Mexican Peso (currency of Mexico).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique