New York the Billionaire Capital of the World, Bill Gates the Richest Man
By Johnlee Varghese | March 2, 2014 8:15 PM EST
Taking the title away from Moscow for the first time, New York is now officially the billionaire capital of the world.
In the 2014 list, the US ranks number one with 481 billionaires; 72 more than that of the 2013 list. The combined wealth of the US billionaires is said to be US$2.2 trillion.
The report also notes that 84 of the US billionaires live in 'the Big Apple', showing an increase of 14 from last year. After New York, the highest concentration of billionaires in the US are seen in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The US is also the world’s capital for immigrant billionaires, with 42 of them in the list.
Meanwhile, China added 41 new billionaires this year to consolidate its second position with 358 billionaires. Russia comes in third position with 103 billionaires; 16 more than 2013. The UK rose to fourth position from fifth place with 78 billionaires, 22 more than 2013.
India also rose to fifth position with 70 billionaires, 17 more than 2013.
In the Top Ten - Hurun Global Rich List, seven are from the US. At 59, Bill Gates is at the top of the wealthiest men list with a fortune of US$68 billion, with an increase of US$14 billion than that of last year.
Warren Buffett, 84, and Amancio Ortega, 78, are in the second and third place in the list, for the second consecutive year, growing 10% and 13% to US$64 billion and US$62 billion respectively.
Carlos Slim Helu, 75, lost the top spot that he had been holding for the past two years, after seeing his wealth drop by US$6 billion, mainly on the back of a 9% drop in the value of the Mexican telecommunication company America Movil and a weak Mexican Peso (currency of Mexico).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate