Kollywood Roundup (February 2014) : Ajith, Vijay's Upcoming Films; Simbu-Hansika Breakup, Aishwarya Rai's Comeback and Other News
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 2, 2014 8:00 PM EST
Check out the headline-grabbing stories from Kollywood in February.
Veeram, Jilla Complete 50 days
Both Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" successfully completed 50-day theatrical run on the last day of February (28 February).
Both films, which released on 10 January, took good openings on their release. Although there were several new releases last month, the Ajith and Vijay starrers managed to hold well and sustain their business at the box office.
Vijay-Murugadoss Film Commences
One of 2014's most-awaited films - the Vijay-Murugadoss's new project - kicked off in the first week of February.
The production of the yet-to-be-titled flick commenced without much ado in Kolkata last month. The shoot is progressing at a brisk pace as the director has reportedly planned to complete it in six months.
The film's villain Tota Roy revealed the storyline in an interview, which created quite a buzz among the fans. However, the director denied that the film's storyline is out and stated that it is different from what Roy had said.
Vijay is reportedly doing a dual role in the film, which has Samantha as the female lead. Apart from acting, Vijay is said to be crooning a song, composed by Anirudh.
Speculations over the film's title have been doing the rounds for a while. Names such as "Vaal", "Dheeran" and "Athiradi" were making headlines but the director denied giving any title to the film.
Buzz on Ajith-Gautham Menon Film
The buzz surrounding the Ajith-Gautham Menon flick have been making waves ever since the film went on floors. Last month, speculations over the new project reached a new high with several details emerging.
The buzz is that Ajith is playing a cop in the Gautham directorial and will not sport his popular salt and pepper look. Anushka Shetty has been reportedly approached for female lead role, while Oscar-winner AR Rahman could be roped in for music.
The film's shoot was scheduled to kick off in February but has been delayed as Ajith is busy working in the gym to get a slim look for the role. It is being said that the production might commence between 15 and 17 March. However, an official confirmation on the same is still awaited.
After months of speculation, actor Simbu confirmed that he has broken up with Hansika Motwani, on 26 February.
Last year, Simbu and Hansika revealed on their Twitter handle that they were seeing each other. However, for the past few months rumours about the couple parting ways were doing the rounds.
Clearing the air on his relationship status, Simbu confirmed the split with Hansika and declared that he is single in a press statement released to the media.
"I had gone through enough in this relationship , and after much of thoughts invested into this, I here by declare that I am single now , and I have nothing to do what so ever with Hansika , and it is all the story of the past . I don't regret the past nor I am in a mood to discuss over the facts which had forced me to this discussion. This announcement is also made only to give clarity to my friends , associates , and my fans over my status . As of now , I am concentrating on my career...and need less to say I am happy and relieved too !!!" the official press release read.
One would wonder about the fate of their two projects -"Vaalu" and "Vettai Mannan" - in which they have been paired with each other.
Maan Karate, Naan Sigappu Manithan and Jigarthanda Teaser Release
The first look teaser of "Maan Karate", "Naan Sigappu Manithan" and "Jigarthanda" created waves among fans of Tamil cinema.
All three teasers took the internet by storm and got good reception from the viewers. Interestingly, the audio launch of all three films is all set to take place this month (March).
Director Balu Mahendra Passes Away
Veteran director Balu Mahendra passed away at a private hospital in Chennai on 13 February.
Mahendra suffered a heart attack following which he was admitted to the hospital and underwent treatment. However, the veteran breathed his last on 13 February.
Shocked and saddened by the filmmaker's death, several industry members, including Suriya, Vijay, Dhanush, Kamal Haasan and AR Murugadoss among others, visited his acting school "Cinema Pattarai", where his body was placed, and paid their last respects to the actor.
Mahendra was a multi-faceted personality and had worked as a filmmaker, screenwriter, editor and cinematographer. Some of his notable films include "Moodu Pani", "Moondram Pirai", "Marupadiyum", "Sathi Leelavathi" and "Sadma" among others.
For the first time in his illustrious career, the veteran director starred in a film titled "Thalaimuraigal", which received critical acclaim. Mahendra has won several awards and honours in recognition to his work.
The death of the veteran is a big loss to the film industry.
Aishwarya Rai-P Vasu Film
The buzz surrounding Aishwarya Rai's comeback film reached a new high with director Vasu announcing that the former Miss World will star in his Tamil-Telugu bilingual.
The "Chandramukhi" director reportedly said in a statement that the gorgeous actress was impressed with his script in which the female lead is said to be donning the role of a Kalari fighter. Following the revelation, the internet was abuzz with news that Aishwarya will be making her comeback in Vasu's film.
But an official statement from Aishwarya's office clarified that the actress has not yet confirmed to do the project. To read the statement, click HERE.
Yuvan Shankar Raja Embraces Islam
Last month, music composer Yuvan Shankar Raja revealed on his Twitter handle that he is following Islam.
Yuvan is reportedly following Islam for over a year. It is not clear as to what made the music composer, son of Ilayaraja, to follow the religion.
His decision was supported by his fans and several members of the film industry. But, it seems the composer received some unwanted messages upon his decision to convert to another religion.
Yuvan was said to be upset with the development and decided to de-activate his Twitter account. However, the exact reason behind Yuvan's decision to quit the micro-blogging site is not known.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying