Royal Enfield Working On New 400 Cc Engine: Report
By greeshma m | March 1, 2014 9:30 PM EST
Iconic bike manufacturer Royal Enfield is reportedly working on a 400 cc single-cylinder engine.
The company, which is planning to complete the remaining work of its Oragadam plant in coming years is said to be developing displacement just under the 400cc that will power some of the future models of the company. The engine that is in the making is believed to be the modified version of the company's existing air-cooled, single-cylinder, and 346cc engine.
A worker assembles an engine inside the Royal Enfield motorcycle factory in Chennai April 6, 2012.
"Royal Enfield is working to develop a new engine slightly bigger in displacement (measuring nearly 400cc) than its current 346cc, single-cylinder powertrain. It essentially is a substantial modification in the form of enhanced dimension, which also requires hard work on the front of new connecting rods, crankshafts and many other crucial areas, to its existing 346cc platform," Autocar Professional quoted a source.
It is also reported that the future models of Royal Enfield, which is powered by the new engine would fall in the price brackets of ₹1.25-₹1.5 lakh. The engine is likely to come with power capacity of 23bhp and peak torque of 35 Nm
"With the new upcoming engine option, the Chennai-based motorcycle maker is looking at positioning its new models in the price bracket of Rs 110,000-Rs 150,000 (on-road) and will eventually be able to conveniently populate the segment with four commercially usable engine options - 346cc, near-400cc, 499cc and 535cc (all air-cooled, single-cylinder) in the near future," the source added.
The company currently sells Bullet, Classic, Thunderbird and Continental GT models in India. During April 2013-January 2014 period, the company has registered 1,59,740 units of sales in total against 97,955 units in the corresponding period last year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock EPS Raised to $7.67 Per Share; Apple Pay Could Be Promising in Australia
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date