Royal Enfield Working On New 400 Cc Engine: Report
By greeshma m | March 1, 2014 9:30 PM EST
Iconic bike manufacturer Royal Enfield is reportedly working on a 400 cc single-cylinder engine.
The company, which is planning to complete the remaining work of its Oragadam plant in coming years is said to be developing displacement just under the 400cc that will power some of the future models of the company. The engine that is in the making is believed to be the modified version of the company's existing air-cooled, single-cylinder, and 346cc engine.
A worker assembles an engine inside the Royal Enfield motorcycle factory in Chennai April 6, 2012.
"Royal Enfield is working to develop a new engine slightly bigger in displacement (measuring nearly 400cc) than its current 346cc, single-cylinder powertrain. It essentially is a substantial modification in the form of enhanced dimension, which also requires hard work on the front of new connecting rods, crankshafts and many other crucial areas, to its existing 346cc platform," Autocar Professional quoted a source.
It is also reported that the future models of Royal Enfield, which is powered by the new engine would fall in the price brackets of ₹1.25-₹1.5 lakh. The engine is likely to come with power capacity of 23bhp and peak torque of 35 Nm
"With the new upcoming engine option, the Chennai-based motorcycle maker is looking at positioning its new models in the price bracket of Rs 110,000-Rs 150,000 (on-road) and will eventually be able to conveniently populate the segment with four commercially usable engine options - 346cc, near-400cc, 499cc and 535cc (all air-cooled, single-cylinder) in the near future," the source added.
The company currently sells Bullet, Classic, Thunderbird and Continental GT models in India. During April 2013-January 2014 period, the company has registered 1,59,740 units of sales in total against 97,955 units in the corresponding period last year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools