Assam Woman who Kissed Rahul Gandhi Burnt to Death by Angry Husband?
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 1, 2014 5:53 PM EST
A congress ward member Bonti Chutiya was burnt to death by her angry husband after she reportedly arrived late from Rahul Gandhi's meeting during his visit to Assam, reports suggest.
You Tube Screen Shot
You Tube Scree shot where an Assam woman is seen kissing Rahul Gandhi
After allegedly killing Bonti, her husband, recognised as Someswar Chutiya, also set himself ablaze. He has been admitted to a nearby hospital in critical condition.
According to initial reports, the couple had a heated argument, after which the husband allegedly set the woman ablaze, India Today reported. Initially it was reported that the woman who died was the same person who was seen kissing Rahul Gandhi during his visit to Assam.
However, other reports have claimed that she was not among those who showered Rahul Gandhi with kisses on Wednesday.
The incident had come into limelight after photos and videos of women kissing the Congress Vice President went viral on the internet.
The 43-year-old is travelling across the country campaigning for his party ahead of the Lok Sabha election due by May. As the congress party is generally considered to be performing at its low, the party stalwart has been lately doing everything he could to revive it.
On his visit to Jorhat in Assam on Wednesday, he was welcomed with kisses on his cheek and on his head. One of the women who kissed him was intially reported to be Bonti. Police have now, however, denied the report and have even said that the woman who died was not even present during the meet, IBN live reported.
The young Congress leader was seen getting embarrassed after two women came closer to him and kissed him, while he was talking with the members.
The kissing incident seemed to have taken the Gandhi scion by surprise, as it came while he was pleasantly shaking hands with women supporters who looked joyful finding him amidst them.
He was quoted by media sources as saying that he found northeastern women to be "more talented" than others, adding that women in this country had the potential to be prime minister and chief ministers.
Gandhi has lately been the butt of all jokes, after he relentlessly spoke on woman empowerment and RTI, in a much-talked about interview with Times Now.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools