Man Dies from Rare Spider Bite
By Parismita Goswami | March 1, 2014 4:39 PM EST
A man from Lakeland, Florida, who has reportedly suffered complications after been bitten by a spider has died.
Man Dies from Rare Spider Bite (Representational Image)
Ronald Reese, 62, after six months of treatment couldn't survive the spider bite, as it became worse and developed into a blister on the back of his neck, which affected his spinal cord, according to Stephen Nelson, Polk County Medical Examiner.
According to Reese's father, he was bitten by a brown recluse spider in August 2013. "He was working in an old house tearing out the existing walls and ceilings and replacing them. Brown recluse spiders like to live in those old houses," Fox News quoted him.
The type of the spider that bit him was never examined, but medical records show some statistics on death associated to spider bite. According to American Association of Poison Control Centers, two people between 2001 and 2005 have died from spider bites. Both are believed to have been bitten by brown recluse spiders.
Though all spiders are poisonous in a way, which helps them kill and digest their prey, the brown recluse spider is one of the few spiders that are dangerous to humans, said Logan Randolph, a biology professor from Polk State College.
A bite from a brown recluse spider makes small wounds that later develop into a blister. The venom may result into causing severe lesions by damaging skin tissues, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
However, the bites typically aren't lethal. In most spider bites, complications arise mostly if there's some secondary factor. If the person has a specific allergic reaction, if their health was compromised in some other manner, or if the bite causes an open wound with a secondary infection," Randolph said.
"Spiders typically avoid humans. Most spiders aren't going to attack you," Randolph said. "It's when you trap them, or you're moving something out of a cabinet and your hand brushes them - it's typically a defense. They react rather than attack", he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- 5 Shocking Findings About Great Barrier Reef Report Revealed
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Evolution Before Man's Eyes
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display