St David’s Day 2014: A Look into the Cultural Significance and Welsh Patron Saint
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 1, 2014 1:58 AM EST
On 1 March each year, people in Wales and those of Welsh origin throughout the world celebrate the life of their patron saint, St David. It is also a day to celebrate Welsh culture that extends to many part of the world, including the United States.
St David's Day Celebrations
St David's Day Celebrations (Wiki Commons)
During the time that remembers Welsh traditions, the Welsh flag is often seen as a symbolic representation of the day, as do the daffodils or leeks pinned to clothing.
St David plays a very important role in Welsh culture, but very little is known about his life. It is believed that he lived almost 100 years of age and died on 1 March. While the year of his death is disputed, tradition holds that he died on that day in the year 569.
Folklores also suggest that he was very gentle and physically robust and tall, despite eating a frugal diet. His father was Sant, the grandson of a prince of Ceredigion in south-west Wales, and his mother, Non, who was the niece of the legendary King Arthur.
The patron saint of Wales is said to have travelled extensively to Wales, England (Cornwallin the south-west), Brittany in France and also possibly to Jerusalem and Ireland. Before eventually becoming an archbishop, he founded several churches and a monastery in Wales. 1 March was included in the church calendar as St David's Day, after he was canonized in 1120. People then started making pilgrimages to St David's monastery, which still stands on its original site.
More information on the importance of St David's day can also be found here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People