Pill to Slow Down Ageing on the Way
By Roshni Mahesh | February 28, 2014 11:19 PM EST
Scientists have developed an anti-ageing pill that helps to improve human life expectancy.
A team of scientists at the National Institutes of Health in US conducted experiments on mice models and found that a protein called sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) played a major role in ageing process. Activation of the protein helped the rodents live longer and stalled development of many age-related diseases in them, The Telegraph, UK reported.
New drug to fight ageing
Protein Sirtuin have long been connected to lifespan extension and calorie restriction. Many studies have shown that an extra copy of SIRT2 genes improved life expectancy by 50 percent, while its deletion lowered longevity. Apart from ageing, they also play an important role in metabolism, DNA repair and gene regulation, thus protecting against diseases like diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
During the experiments, Dr Rafael de Cabo and colleagues fed six-month-old mice with SRT1720 supplements (100 milligrams per kilogram of body weight).
Mice that received the supplement achieved 8.8 percent increase in lifespan compared to those animals that didn't receive the molecule. Apart from that, mice in the protein group were lighter, slimmer, and had better muscle function and co-ordination.
Researchers identified that the supplementation helped to manage bad cholesterol, improved insulin sensitivity, thus protected against heart disease and diabetes. These proteins also helped lower inflammation, a major reason that leads to ageing.
"Here, we show for the first time that a synthetic SIRT1 activator extends lifespan and improves healthspan of mice fed a standard diet," Dr de Cabo told The Telegraph. "It illustrates that we can develop molecules that ameliorate the burden of metabolic and chronic diseases associated with ageing."
The study has been published in the journal Cell Reports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate