Pill to Slow Down Ageing on the Way
By Roshni Mahesh | February 28, 2014 11:19 PM EST
Scientists have developed an anti-ageing pill that helps to improve human life expectancy.
A team of scientists at the National Institutes of Health in US conducted experiments on mice models and found that a protein called sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) played a major role in ageing process. Activation of the protein helped the rodents live longer and stalled development of many age-related diseases in them, The Telegraph, UK reported.
New drug to fight ageing
Protein Sirtuin have long been connected to lifespan extension and calorie restriction. Many studies have shown that an extra copy of SIRT2 genes improved life expectancy by 50 percent, while its deletion lowered longevity. Apart from ageing, they also play an important role in metabolism, DNA repair and gene regulation, thus protecting against diseases like diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
During the experiments, Dr Rafael de Cabo and colleagues fed six-month-old mice with SRT1720 supplements (100 milligrams per kilogram of body weight).
Mice that received the supplement achieved 8.8 percent increase in lifespan compared to those animals that didn't receive the molecule. Apart from that, mice in the protein group were lighter, slimmer, and had better muscle function and co-ordination.
Researchers identified that the supplementation helped to manage bad cholesterol, improved insulin sensitivity, thus protected against heart disease and diabetes. These proteins also helped lower inflammation, a major reason that leads to ageing.
"Here, we show for the first time that a synthetic SIRT1 activator extends lifespan and improves healthspan of mice fed a standard diet," Dr de Cabo told The Telegraph. "It illustrates that we can develop molecules that ameliorate the burden of metabolic and chronic diseases associated with ageing."
The study has been published in the journal Cell Reports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Prince Harry Turns 30 And Inherits $16 Million: Cancels Birthday Bash Due To Morning Sickness Of His Sister-in-Law Kate Middleton
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers