Pill to Slow Down Ageing on the Way
By Roshni Mahesh | February 28, 2014 11:19 PM EST
Scientists have developed an anti-ageing pill that helps to improve human life expectancy.
A team of scientists at the National Institutes of Health in US conducted experiments on mice models and found that a protein called sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) played a major role in ageing process. Activation of the protein helped the rodents live longer and stalled development of many age-related diseases in them, The Telegraph, UK reported.
New drug to fight ageing
Protein Sirtuin have long been connected to lifespan extension and calorie restriction. Many studies have shown that an extra copy of SIRT2 genes improved life expectancy by 50 percent, while its deletion lowered longevity. Apart from ageing, they also play an important role in metabolism, DNA repair and gene regulation, thus protecting against diseases like diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
During the experiments, Dr Rafael de Cabo and colleagues fed six-month-old mice with SRT1720 supplements (100 milligrams per kilogram of body weight).
Mice that received the supplement achieved 8.8 percent increase in lifespan compared to those animals that didn't receive the molecule. Apart from that, mice in the protein group were lighter, slimmer, and had better muscle function and co-ordination.
Researchers identified that the supplementation helped to manage bad cholesterol, improved insulin sensitivity, thus protected against heart disease and diabetes. These proteins also helped lower inflammation, a major reason that leads to ageing.
"Here, we show for the first time that a synthetic SIRT1 activator extends lifespan and improves healthspan of mice fed a standard diet," Dr de Cabo told The Telegraph. "It illustrates that we can develop molecules that ameliorate the burden of metabolic and chronic diseases associated with ageing."
The study has been published in the journal Cell Reports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS