Mummy Murder Mystery Solved: Incan Woman's Head Destroyed
By Parismita Goswami | February 28, 2014 9:44 PM EST
Researchers revealed that the mysterious mummy that deteriorated in the German collection for over a century is of an Incan woman who was killed by smashing the head.
Mummy murder mystery solved, Incan woman's head destroyed (Representational Image)
According to the analysis, the mummy was from Incan Empire era who suffered from a parasitic disease that narrows the intestinal and heart walls. Researchers made a possibility that the woman was killed as a part of some ritual murder since she was on the verge of death.
The story of the mummy dates back to 1890's, when Princess Therese of Bavaria got two mummies during a tour to South America. One of the mummies was soon lost, while the other made it to the State Archaeological Collection in Munich.
Geographic and bombing moves destroyed valuable documentation of the mummy, hence a little was known about its origin, said Andreas Nerlich, a paleopathologist at Munich University and the co-author of the study.
They put the mummy on a computed tomography (CT) scanner in order to learn more about the mysterious remains. They observed that the mummy's head looked normal from outside but the skull's frontal bones were destroyed completely.
"She must have received a couple of really severe hits by a sharp object to her skull just before her death, which killed her, The skull bones that had been destroyed fell into her brain cavity, and they are still there today", Live Sciences quoted Nerlich.
The woman's body was buried shallowly, where the dry air and sand quickly sucked all the body fluids, thus arresting decomposition and mummifying her.
Whilst the mummy was recorded first in the Anatomic Institute, there is no written evidence available neither about the woman's origin nor its way to the Munich University. Since its donation, the mummy had been on exhibition for several decades in the collection.
The details of the findings have been published in the Plos One Journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'