Maha Shivratri Festival Celebrated: Devotees Offer Prayers to Lord Shiva [PHOTOS]
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 28, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Maha Shivratri (Great Night of Lord Shiva), the Hindu festival dedicated to Lord Shiva, was celebrated with religious fervour by devotees.
Hindu devotees observed fast and offered prayers to Lord Shiva by pouring milk and water on the Shiv ling and adorning it with beautiful flowers.
Maha Shivratri is observed on the 13th night/ 14th day of the 11th Hindu month of Phalguna or Maagh (February - March) every year. There are various interesting mythological stories that are being shared as to why Shivratri is celebrated. One such story is that the formless God appeared in the form of 'Lingodbhav Moorti' at midnight on Maha Shivratri and is said to be the reason why devotees stay awake in the night and offer prayers to the Lord.
To know about other mythological stories regarding Shivratri, click HERE.
Thousands of devotees took holy dip at various pilgrim destinations on the occasion of Maha Shivratri. Since early morning, several devotees formed long lines of queue in various temples in India to offer prayers, flowers and fruits to the Almighty. The day is also observed with the Hindu holy men smoking Marijuana (which Lord Shiva is said to be fond of) and smearing their bodies with ashes.
The festival was also celebrated in Nepal, where devotees from India and other South Asian countries visited the famous Pashupatinath temple to offer prayers to the Lord.
More than 4,000 saints and 150 Naga Sadhus arrived at the historic temple and offered prayers, reported The Press Trust of India. Nepal President Ram Baran Yadav and Vice President Parmananda Jha also reportedly visited the temple for the Shivratri festival.
Check below for other pictures of Maha Shivratri celebrations
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'