Kerala Has 74% Children Addicted to Tobacco, Highest Alcoholics, Cancer Patients: Study
By Rama Mohan | February 28, 2014 8:56 PM EST
Kerala, India's most literate state with more than 93.91 percent literacy rate, is also home for largest number of alcoholics, cancer patients and children addicted to tobacco. A study by National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre (NDDTC) and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) revealed this startling facts.
Fishermen in Kerala, India (Reuters)
The study said that 74 percent of Kerala's children between the age group 5-18 consume tobacco. As part of the study, a total of 119 children were covered examining their pattern, profile and substance use, reported American Bazaar.
"Alcohol, tobacco and inhalants are common initial substances of abuse and have been described as gateway substances," says the study.
The main reason that leads to this situation is the easy availabilty of alcohol and tobacco to the children in Kerala. It has to be noted that, most of these products are not illegal too, the study noted.
Recently, the 'God's own country,' as Kerala is known for its beautiful topography, was in the news again for the wrong reasons.
Surpassing hard-drinking states like Punjab and Haryana, Kerala has the highest per capita liquor consumption in the country with over 8 liters per person a year. About one in 10 men in the state is a heavy alcoholic consumer and this amounts to 5 percent of the state's population addicted to liquor.
As far as cancer is concerned, the most literate state bags the highest number of cancer patients in the country, the State government itself has stated this recently.
The State Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has stated that Kerala has the highest number of cancer patients in the country. Out of every one lakh males, 133 persons suffer from the disease, while in the case of females, it is 123 for every one lakh females.
35,000 cancer cases, on an average, are reported every year in the state, according to the State Health Department officials. The officials have attributed the enormity of the disease to wrong food habits and environmental problems.
The highest number of cancer patients in the state has promted the creation of a matrimonial website to find life partners for cancer survivors in the state.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Sex With 20 Women Or More Reduces Risk Of Prostate Cancer, Canadian Research Says
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight