St David’s Day 2014: Grand Day of Colors, Carnival and Music is Here; Major World Events
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 28, 2014 7:20 PM EST
The day that defines the glory of colors, carnival, parades and music is here and there are a lot of events to look forward to, just in case you were not aware of them.
St David's Day Celebration, Events to look for (Representation picture, Reuters)
While St David's Day is not a public holiday in the United Kingdom or countries such as Canada and the United States, it is a significant day of celebration and many schools, institutions and business often stage special program for the day. Some villages and towns also hold special parades.
The largest of the parades to commemorate Saint David is held in Cardiff and is formally attended by either the British Monarch or the Prince of Wales.
As always, this year's Parade will be brimming with colorful carnival dancers, community and youth groups in Welsh traditional costume, Welsh dance groups and folk musicians and dancing dragons, and funky street bands, the Cardiff Council has said. The parade will start at 12: 30 pm from the City Hall and will travel through Cardiff Castle's main gate into the castle grounds at around 1:15 pm.
A world record attempt to make the biggest Welsh cake will also take place on the day in Bala, a market town and community in Gwynedd, Wales, reported Daily Post.
In the town of Colwyn Bay in north Wales an annual parade is held with several hundred citizens and schoolchildren taking part.
The town of Prestatyn will also close streets for local schools to participate in Welsh singing and local fundraising programs.
The southern Wales town of Swansea inaugurated a St David's Week festival in 2009. The city will see a range of musical, sporting and cultural events to mark the day. This year too, the city is hosting a number of events. For more details, click here.
Many similar events will be held in many other parts of the world including the United States. The Los Angeles St. David's Day Festival is the largest annual event of its kind in the United States encompassing an eisteddfod, Celtic marketplace, classes or concert.
This year, the organizers have announced a grand concert from 2-5 pm, where Meinir Elin Gwilym, a popular Welsh-language pop and folk singer will make her North American debut. For more details, click here.
The famous Disneyland Paris also organizes yearly events to celebrate Saint David's Day, which often include a Welsh-themed week, fireworks, parades and lovely and cute Disney characters dressed in traditional Welsh attire. The famous entertainment resort in Marne-ka-Vallee, anew town 32-km east of Paris has announced the Welsh Festival from 7 - 9 March 2014.
Mickey and Minnie will be seen getting into the spirit in their traditional Welsh costumes for a food, drinks and crafts market. The event will also include, music, face painting and a stunning fireworks finale, the resort has said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6