Is Paula Deen Racist? Refers to Michael Sam As ‘That Black’ Gay Footballer; Twitter Reactions
By Keerthi Mohan | February 28, 2014 7:08 PM EST
Celebrity cook Paula Deen has an unusual way of showing people that she has moved away from being a racist – by referring to Michael Sam as "that black football player who recently came out.”
Deen, whose career nearly went under after admitting to using racial slurs in the past, told People magazine in an interview that she was trying to rebuild her career, and her struggle was similar to that of Sam’s.
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name," she told People, according to reports. "It's like that black football player who recently came out."
"He (Sam) said, 'I just want to be known as a football player. I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying."
These comments seem to be having the exact opposite to what Deen would have liked, for social networking sites have once again started calling her a bigot.
@Paula_Deen Too stupid to just shut up huh? We had almost forgotten about your racist words and now this?
— Moral Intelligence (@moralintelligen) February 28, 2014
Overheard: my sister: "oh paula deen, always sticking your foot in your mouth" me: "also butter." http://t.co/6KXDh1jD7U — C H R I S T E L L E (@XtelleClassique) February 28, 2014
Paula, just shut up and cook: Paula Deen Compares Her Struggle To 'That Black Football Player' Who Came Out http://t.co/2rePUVTWy7
— Wilda V. Heard (@drWilda) February 28, 2014
Oh @Paula_Deen you really missed something here. There's nothing wrong w/ being gay; there is something wrong w/ being racist. C'mon dummy. — Vanessa Alberto (@VALberto614) February 28, 2014
Deen’s career as a celebrity chef imploded last year after admitting to using a racial slur in the ‘80s. Following the controversy, The Food Network cancelled her show, and decided against renewing her contract stating that the company does not tolerate discrimination.
Deen tried to justify her actions saying America was a different place during the 80s, and that racism was prevalent at that time. She also blamed her southern upbringing for her racially-charged comments.
"During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today," a statement released by Deen’s public relations team noted, according to multiple reports.
"She was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."
Since the scandal, Deen has been working tirelessly to rebuild her brand, and recently announced the setting up of a new company, Paula Deen Ventures, and a restaurant, Paula Deen's Kitchen, in Pigeon Forge, Tenn.
Deen also told People that she has learned that certain words have the potential to hurt and offends others. But, from the looks of it, Deen will have to work at mincing words.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change