Box Office: Ajith's 'Veeram', Vijay's 'Jilla' Successfully Enter 50th Day
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 28, 2014 4:49 PM EST
Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla" will be successfully completing 50 days in a few screens across Tamil Nadu today (28 February).
Ajith in "Veeram" (Facebook)
"Veeram" and "Jilla", which released on 10 January, received fantastic response from Ajith and Vijay fans upon their release. Despite several new releases in the last one month, "Veeram" and "Jilla" managed to attract audiences to theatres. Both the films have turned out to be "Paisa Vasool" entertainers at the box office.
After doing back-to-back stylish action flicks, Ajith took up a village-based subject like "Veeram." Thala's (as he is fondly referred by his fans) dhoti clad appearance and his famous salt and pepper look received rave comments from the fans.
The actor appeared in the role of an elder brother to four siblings played by Vidarth, Bala, Munish and Suhail. For the first time, he teamed up with Tammanaah in the film, directed by "Siruthai" Siva.
"Veeram" is a mass masala entertainer with all the commercial elements including action, sentiments, romance, comedy, punch dialogues and songs. The film received mixed reviews from critics upon its release. However, Ajith fans lapped it up and gave big thumbs up for the action entertainer. Families too thronged the theatres to watch the film.
The Ajith starrer took a solid opening on the first day of its release and the 10-day-long Pongal holidays helped the film post fantastic collections at the Tamil Nadu box office. It also performed decent business in other Indian states as well as in overseas markets.
With "Veeram" success, Ajith has two back-to-back hits including "Arrambam." It remains to be seen if the actor will be able to sustain it and hit a hat-trick with "Thala 55", a big-budget Gautham Menon directorial.
Vijay-Mohanlal's "Jilla" performed exceptionally well at the box office, despite facing strong competition from Ajith's "Veeram."
Directed by RT Neason, "Jilla" is an action-packed entertainer with Vijay and Mohanlal in lead roles. After "Thuppakki", Kajal Aggarwal teamed up with Vijay for the second time. The film had Poornima Bhagyaraj, Soori, Mahat Raghavendra and Nivedha Thomas in supporting roles.
The action flick took a fantastic opening on the first day of its release not just in Tamil Nadu, but also in Kerala. The presence of Malayalam superstar Mohanlal and Vijay helped "Jilla" register the best-ever opening for any film in the state.
The performances of both the actors won accolades from all quarters. The film's songs and the background score were a major plus. The songs, composed by Imman, turned out to be chartbusters and gave a big boost to the film.
With the success of "Jilla", Vijay and his fans would be relieved considering that the actor's earlier release "Thalaivaa", which was mired in some controversy, failed to set the cash registers ringing.
Vijay would be hoping to sustain his successful run with his upcoming film, directed by AR Murugadoss. The film's shooting is currently progressing at a brisk and it is likely to get released this year itself.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy