NBA News: Cheap Shot to Cost Cousins $20K and 1-Game Suspension [VIDEO]
By James Patrick Quizon | February 28, 2014 4:30 PM EST
It’s a not-so-cheap shot now. For punching Houston Rockets point guard Patrick Beverley and confronting an official abusively, Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins have been fined $20,000 and suspended for a game by the National Basketball Association (NBA).
NBA: Sacramento Kings at New York Knicks
The punching incident happened right at the start of the Houston Rockets-Sacramento Kings tiff last Tuesday. Houston won in that game via a 129-103 blowout. In the video, Beverley was cutting across the lane when Cousins threw a slight jab into the point guards’ gut.
The verbal abuse on the official happened in the third quarter of the same game when Cousins was ejected.
Cousins, who did issue an apology already via Twitter, leads the league in technical fouls with 15 so far this year. He will serve his latest suspension when his Kings face the lowly Los Angeles Lakers on Friday.
Disappointed with the way I acted out on the court tonight. I want to apologize and say sorry to my team and the fans for letting them down
— demarcus cousins (@boogiecousins) February 26, 2014
"It's disappointing. ... Do I condone his actions? No, not at all. Does he have to handle himself better? Sure he does. We just need to get him to understand that we don't need him to get kicked out of the ballgame." Mike Malone said to ESPN.com.
Cousins averages career highs of 22.3 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage