NBA News: Cheap Shot to Cost Cousins $20K and 1-Game Suspension [VIDEO]
By James Patrick Quizon | February 28, 2014 4:30 PM EST
It’s a not-so-cheap shot now. For punching Houston Rockets point guard Patrick Beverley and confronting an official abusively, Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins have been fined $20,000 and suspended for a game by the National Basketball Association (NBA).
NBA: Sacramento Kings at New York Knicks
The punching incident happened right at the start of the Houston Rockets-Sacramento Kings tiff last Tuesday. Houston won in that game via a 129-103 blowout. In the video, Beverley was cutting across the lane when Cousins threw a slight jab into the point guards’ gut.
The verbal abuse on the official happened in the third quarter of the same game when Cousins was ejected.
Cousins, who did issue an apology already via Twitter, leads the league in technical fouls with 15 so far this year. He will serve his latest suspension when his Kings face the lowly Los Angeles Lakers on Friday.
Disappointed with the way I acted out on the court tonight. I want to apologize and say sorry to my team and the fans for letting them down
— demarcus cousins (@boogiecousins) February 26, 2014
"It's disappointing. ... Do I condone his actions? No, not at all. Does he have to handle himself better? Sure he does. We just need to get him to understand that we don't need him to get kicked out of the ballgame." Mike Malone said to ESPN.com.
Cousins averages career highs of 22.3 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related