NBA News: Cheap Shot to Cost Cousins $20K and 1-Game Suspension [VIDEO]
By James Patrick Quizon | February 28, 2014 4:30 PM EST
It’s a not-so-cheap shot now. For punching Houston Rockets point guard Patrick Beverley and confronting an official abusively, Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins have been fined $20,000 and suspended for a game by the National Basketball Association (NBA).
NBA: Sacramento Kings at New York Knicks
The punching incident happened right at the start of the Houston Rockets-Sacramento Kings tiff last Tuesday. Houston won in that game via a 129-103 blowout. In the video, Beverley was cutting across the lane when Cousins threw a slight jab into the point guards’ gut.
The verbal abuse on the official happened in the third quarter of the same game when Cousins was ejected.
Cousins, who did issue an apology already via Twitter, leads the league in technical fouls with 15 so far this year. He will serve his latest suspension when his Kings face the lowly Los Angeles Lakers on Friday.
Disappointed with the way I acted out on the court tonight. I want to apologize and say sorry to my team and the fans for letting them down
— demarcus cousins (@boogiecousins) February 26, 2014
"It's disappointing. ... Do I condone his actions? No, not at all. Does he have to handle himself better? Sure he does. We just need to get him to understand that we don't need him to get kicked out of the ballgame." Mike Malone said to ESPN.com.
Cousins averages career highs of 22.3 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October