NBA News: Cheap Shot to Cost Cousins $20K and 1-Game Suspension [VIDEO]
By James Patrick Quizon | February 28, 2014 4:30 PM EST
It’s a not-so-cheap shot now. For punching Houston Rockets point guard Patrick Beverley and confronting an official abusively, Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins have been fined $20,000 and suspended for a game by the National Basketball Association (NBA).
NBA: Sacramento Kings at New York Knicks
The punching incident happened right at the start of the Houston Rockets-Sacramento Kings tiff last Tuesday. Houston won in that game via a 129-103 blowout. In the video, Beverley was cutting across the lane when Cousins threw a slight jab into the point guards’ gut.
The verbal abuse on the official happened in the third quarter of the same game when Cousins was ejected.
Cousins, who did issue an apology already via Twitter, leads the league in technical fouls with 15 so far this year. He will serve his latest suspension when his Kings face the lowly Los Angeles Lakers on Friday.
Disappointed with the way I acted out on the court tonight. I want to apologize and say sorry to my team and the fans for letting them down
— demarcus cousins (@boogiecousins) February 26, 2014
"It's disappointing. ... Do I condone his actions? No, not at all. Does he have to handle himself better? Sure he does. We just need to get him to understand that we don't need him to get kicked out of the ballgame." Mike Malone said to ESPN.com.
Cousins averages career highs of 22.3 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air