Manchester United News: We are Lousy, Says Robin Van Persie, But Striker Insists David Moyes Needs to be Given Time
By Deepak Vikraman | February 28, 2014 4:23 PM EST
"Lousy" was the word Manchester United striker Robin Van Persie used to describe the English Premier League champions' performances this season.
United plumbed previously unknown depths of despair on Tuesday night, going down 2-0 to Olympiakos in the last 16 first leg match of the Champions League, and with it rendering their chances of making Europe's elite competition even more minute.
The Red Devils lie eleven points behind Liverpool, who currently sit in the final Champions League position, and Van Persie, who criticised his teammates following the 2-0 reverse to Olympiakos, admitted things were pretty bad at the moment.
"We are lousy -- in a lousy position in the league, out of the cups and this [the Champions League] looks a difficult one also," the former Arsenal skipper was quoted as saying by The Sun.
"We are very disappointed. It's a tough season. Sometimes we play good but not always. And we are not lucky. That's no excuse, though. We need to turn it around."
Van Persie believes the pace of United's play was far too slow to cause Olympiakos any trouble, with the Greek side taking a 2-0 lead into the second leg courtesy goals from Alejandro Dominguez and Joel Campbell.
"We are able to play in a high tempo with massive power but in Greece it was all too slow," the Dutchman said.
"Olympiakos didn't create a lot either. The first goal was lucky, the second goal was a great one and for the rest of the game they didn't have any good chances."
United's poor performances have naturally piled the pressure on David Moyes, but Van Persie insisted the Scot must be given time at Old Trafford to turn things around.
"He is new and needs time," the 30-year-old added. "He's working hard and so are we. It's easy to point at the manager but that's not who I am. We need to do it on the pitch.
Van Persie, in the aftermath of the 2-0 defeat, had criticised his teammates for hampering his chances of scoring. "Our fellow players are sometimes occupying the spaces I want to play in," Van Persie told Dutch TV channel NOS on Tuesday. "And when I see that it makes it difficult for me to come to those spaces as well.
"So that forces me to adjust my runs, based on the position of my fellow players. And unfortunately, they're often playing in my zones. I think that's a shame."
Reports have suggested Van Persie might look to leave Manchester United in the summer. But it is also believed United will refuse to listen to any offers for the Dutchman, like they did with Wayne Rooney, who eventually went on to sign a new five-and-half-year contract, as Moyes looks to rebuild the team starting next season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best