'American Idol' 2014 Recap: AI Season 13 'Finals Week 1 - This Is Me' Aired on Feb. 26, 2014
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | February 28, 2014 4:18 PM EST
"American Idol" 2014 Season XIII Top 13 has officially made its debut on TV on Feb. 26. Thirteen idol finalists performed on the idol stage, live, with their own chosen songs in line with the theme "This Is Me."
Finalists Meuse, Roberts, Irene, Nobilette, Preston, Piriz, Briley, O'Connor, Johnson, Rose, Woolf, Watson and Harris pose at the party for the finalists of "American Idol XIII" in West Hollywood.
Prior to the live performance, the AI Top 13 was asked five things to describe themselves in 20 seconds. Some made it to five before the timer goes off while some barely made understandable phrases, but still managed to tell something about themselves. The video clips were shown before every idol finalist steps up on the stage.
The following are what have happened on the show:
#1 Dexter Roberts performing "Aw Naw" by Rival Sons
First up on the stage was Dexter Roberts, singing "Aw Naw." Keith Urban commented that Roberts is such a likeable man and that he has done such an excellent cover of the song. For Jennifer Lopez, though, she thought that Roberts' voice hasn't shown so much of a sweet spot that probably the former was used to hearing from the idol finalist.
#2 Malaya Watson with "Runaway Baby" by Bruno Mars
Second to perform was Malaya Watson with a Bruno Mars song. JLo loved the way Watson commands the stage like a superstar, and Keith thought that Watson's energy is so contagious to watch on the stage.
#3 Kristen O'Connor with "Beautiful Disaster" by Kelly Clarkson
Singing "Beautiful Disaster," Kristen O'Connor made Harry Connick Jr. think she was a really strong pop singer.
#4 Ben Riley with "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash
Ben Riley was fourth to step up on the stage and perform. JLo said she liked that Riley picked up the tempo of his song.
"But maybe that's just the dancer in me," JLo added with a laugh.
#5 C.J. Harris with "Radio" by Darius Rucker
Harry received his first "boo" for the night after C.J. Harris' performance. Harry said that he is spoiled by Harris' voice, but he thought that the song choice was just an "okay" song choice. But, of course, Keith had to disagree.
#6 MK Nobilette with "Satisfaction" by Allen Stone
Mk Nobilette was the sixth to perform. The judges praised Nobilette's ensemble, which became the highlight of their comments.
#7 Majesty Rose with "Tightrope" by Janelle Monae
Keith said that Majesty Rose made a "killer" song choice. JLo agreed by saying that "Tightrope" was the perfect song for her.
#8 Jena Irene with "The Scientist" by Coldplay
Jena Irene was the eighth idol finalist to perform on the stage, and JLo said that she has such a unique voice.
#9 Alex Preston with "A Beautiful Mess" by Jason Mraz
Harry received his second "boo" for the night when he just told Alex Preston that he liked idol finalist's tune, and then later added that he wasn't sure that the song did Preston. Most likely Harry was talking about the song not giving Preston's voice, justice.
#10 Jessica Meuse with "The Crow and the Butterfly" by Shinedown
Jessica Meuse's performance gave the judges a good show. For JLo, Meuse had the best vocals of the night, so far. Keith said he loves the fact that Meuse chose "The Crow and the Butterfly," and Harry said that he really loved hearing Meuse sing differently.
#11 Emily Piriz with "Glitter in the Air" by Pink
Emily Piriz chose "Glitter in the Air" for her first song in the Finals Week. JLo believed that Piriz made a "tough" song choice. Harry thought Piriz sang the melody well. Fortunately, Harry didn't receive his third "boo," but the judges made it appear like they were waiting for the "but" word.
#12 Sam Woolf with "Unwell" by Matchbox 20
Sam Woolf was second to the last to perform on the stage. Harry thought Woolf's performance was nice while Keith thought the tempo was a little slow. But for JLo, Woolf was a "perfect storm."
#13 Caleb Johnson with "Pressure in Time" by Rivals Son
The last to perform was Caleb Johnson who was the first to receive a standing ovation, and it was two standing ovations coming from JLo and Keith. Harry said that it was great to see some rock and roll on the show.
"America's going to get some soulful, theatrical, convicted, over the top, intense, insane, amazing rock and roll," Caleb Johnson once told Idol Insider. Did he just do that?
'American Idol' 2014 Idol Insider: Meet the Top 13 Finalists at the Idol Party (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1