Air New Zealand Lifts 1H14 Net Profit by 40% to NZ$140M
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 28, 2014 3:57 PM EST
New Zealand's flag carrier is expecting higher earnings for the year ending June as its first quarter 2014 profits lifted 40 per cent to NZ$140 million from a year ago.
Relentless focus on global sales and marketing coupled with continuing improvements in costs gave off the much favorable results, according to chief executive Christopher Luxon.
A Qantas Airlines Boeing 737 plane sits next to a Virgin Australia Boeing 737 plane at the Port Hedland airport in the Pilbara region of western Australia December 3, 2013. REUTERS
The scenario prompted the company to forecast full-year pre-tax underlying profit to reach an excess of $300 million. This, as long as fuel prices remain stable, Mr Luxon said.
"We have worked hard on improving our cost base in an environment where we have not grown," he said in a statement to the market.
"In fact, we have reduced our capacity flown overall as we realigned our long-haul network," noting the benefits of cost-cutting the airline undertook in recent years."
Mr Luzon expects the company to incur an 8 per cent capacity growth in the 2015 financial year following the delivery of its Boeing 787-9s and 777-300s in the middle of 2014. New Airbus A320 and ATR72-600 aircrafts are likewise expected to be added into the domestic network over the next year.
"The journey ahead is shaping up as incredibly exciting, particularly given the positive economic outlook in many of our key revenue markets," Mr Luxon said. "We are well placed to take advantage of this, with significant fleet additions soon to arrive."
Shareholders will receive a 4.5 New Zealand cent per share interim dividend, up by 50 per cent from a year ago.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics