Samsung Galaxy S5 Smartphone Cloned by Goophone in Just 2 Days, Specs and Features of the Goophone S5
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 28, 2014 3:54 PM EST
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
Goophone, a Chinese manufacturer notorious for making high-end devices clones offers an identical looking smartphone for almost half the price of the Samsung Galaxy S5.
Although high-end knock-offs are common in the Asian markets, copyright law inhibits clones to get a foothold in the West. As such, Goophone makes a slick Web presence by advertising its Goophone S5 along with its iPhone 5S, 5c and Galaxy Gear clones.
If truth be told, the Goophone i5C is not a million miles away from the iPhone 5C which utilises skinned version of the Android OS to imitate the iOS. Physically, Goophone iOS devices can easily pass for the real thing. According to reviews, the slower software and cheaper materials used are a dead giveaway but they are not a bad deal, at least for the price.
The Goophone S5 which appears nearly similar as the Samsung Galaxy S5 in the outside offers a 5 inches display with 1920 x 1080 resolution, 2GHz octa-core chip, 2GB of RAM and 32GB storage only for $300. On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy S5 offers 5.1 inches display with the same resolution, 2.5GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM and 32GB of memory for roughly $900.
Goophone S5 Specs
5 inches 1080p display of unspecified type
2GHz MTK MT6592 Octa-core processor, GPU: ARM Mali450-MP4
2GB of RAM
32GB of internal storage and microSD card slot for memory expansion
13MP rear camera, 5MP front camera and LED flash
GSM, WCDMA (HSUPA, HSDPA). GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz WCDMA: 850/2100MHz
Android 4.2 OS
Google Play Store access, unlocked
The two devices have minor differences under the hood but just because the raw numbers are quite similar it doesn't necessarily mean that the parts used will be as reliable. Also, it must be noted that Goophone does not offer the heartbeat sensor and fingerprint scanner in the Galaxy S5. Nevertheless, one can't help but feel that Samsung is overcharging with the similarities in specs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies