Nexus 6 Release Date Set by Google for Sept-Oct 2014 with Android 5.0 After July Nexus 8 Launch with Lollipop?
By Erik Pineda | February 28, 2014 3:28 PM EST
Screenshot from YouTube Video
It appears that the Nexus maker will stick to its pre-set release calendar for the line-up as the Android chief told his MWC audience that "I can assure you, it will not be released in the first half of the year."
With the firm words from Pichai, the Nexus 6 guesswork now tilts towards a later entry for the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5 rival. Going by the last two releases - the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 - the next touchdown should happen by late Q3 2014 or September at the earliest.
While the LG Nexus 5 went live on Google Play Store in November 2013, its successor is tipped to debut slightly earlier. The best bet for that would be within October or a few weeks after the rumoured iPhone 6 release date.
Yet while waiting for the beloved Nexus 6, the Android world can take comfort on the likelihood that another Nexus is breaking out the scene with the target likely in July. The schedule is a few weeks after the annual I/O Developers Conference that Google will stage on June 24 in San Francisco, California.
On that same event, major revelations from the tech giant are expected but only two would serve as the highlight of the gathering. Experts seem to agree that Google is using the 2014 I/O as platform to intro the Nexus 8.
As earlier reported, the 8-inch Nexus will replace the Nexus 7. The move is explained as Google's way of giving Apple a better fight in the compact tablet segment. In short, the Nexus 8 is designed to slug it out with the 7.9-inch iPad Mini.
And to better display the Nexus 8 capabilities, Google is also outing the latest Android edition that will tackle the trimmed down iOS 7. Android watchers are convinced that the next Android sweet will be called Lollipop or build 4.5.
Now such release pattern closely resembles that of Google's 2013 Nexus thrust. By mid-part of last year, the second Nexus 7 was pushed out with Jelly Bean 4.3 then a few months after, the Nexus 5 was unwrapped and along with it, the candy bar KitKat or version 4.4 of Android OS.
If the same Nexus release cycle will be in effect this year, though with minor variations, then the Nexus 6 can be logically expected between September and October 2014 and one sweet package to rollout with the much-awaited device is a refreshed Android.
It could the full fifth build or Android 5.0, which in the early parts of 2013 was referred to as Key Lime Pie. While Google may favour this possible path, no confirmation can be expected from the company anytime soon.
Regardless, the Nexus 6 on release date is believed to show off upgraded specs and features from the Nexus 5, bannered by a phablet-size screen and a 64-bit octa-core Snapdragon 810 chip. However, the next Nexus phone maker remains part of the tightly-guarded Google secrets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes