Samsung Galaxy S5 Buying Guide: Top 10 Checklist Before, During and After Purchase in Stores
By Ryan Inoyori | February 28, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 is set to be launched as early as March or, if rumours are true, by April. And for those who want to upgrade from an older Galaxy S smartphone to the Galaxy S5, here are important factors to check before, during and after the purchase.
Pre-orders begin before the Samsung Galaxy S5's official release on physical stores. But those who would like to wait longer can browse retailers online to determine which store offers the best price and the best deal for the new Samsung device. However, consumers need to remember to review warranty, cost and model variant of Galaxy S5 from online deals that may have some freebies.
IP 67 Feature
One of the most important features buyers need to check is the Ingress Protection or UP 67 on Galaxy S5. Since it offers water-resistant, don't be shy to test it out if it's working perfectly. This is the best way to spot any factory defect and avoid the hassle of returning the device for replacement or repair.
Testing for the Camera
Various upgrades are included on the 16 MP rear camera and should also be a part of any buyer's testing list. These upgrades include the following:
1. Fast Auto Focus: If it says "fast", go ahead and pick something moving to test the Fast Auto Focus feature.
2. Dual Shot Mode: Both the rear and front cameras can perform dual shot of images and recording.
3. HDR Rich Tone: Check if the HDR mode works great on low-light and bright scenes.
4. Selective Focus: Blurring out the background shouldn't affect the focus on the subject as the feature points out.
5. Video Stabilisation: If a user's hands are shaky, it would be good for them to double check the stabilisation on the video recording, which should be fine due to video stabilisation feature.
S Health Features
Whether users want to use the Galaxy S5 to help them cultivate a healthy lifestyle or stick to their exercises, there are several S Health features that have been added and improved to help them do these:
1. Heart Rate Monitor: It should monitor a user's heart rate without requiring accessories.
2. Personal Fitness Tracker: The enhanced S Health must track down a user's walking distance, calories and speed.
3. Pedometer: Try playing with the pedometer if its accurate.
Wireless and Networks
Insert a SIM and enable the mobile network mode including mobile data connection. Test the 4G/LTE download and upload speeds with proper switching between Wi-Fi.
Other wireless features buyers should also check include the following:
1. Wi-Fi and Double Wi-Fi connection mode
2. Wi-Fi and LTE simultaneous connection
6. S Beam.
The fingerprint scanner is the first feature found on a Galaxy S smartphone that has been certified by PayPal. Users can customise it to unlock properly and enable payments via PayPal.
Power Saving Mode
Now, this one is very tricky to do during purchase and probably best to be tested at home. Consumers may a grace period of replacement in case something goes wrong with the Galaxy S5, so they have a day or two to check the Ultra Power Saving mode. Once users have charged the device in full for the first time, they can use it to the max and then enable Ultra Power Saving mode when nearing power depletion.
Users can have Private and Kids mode features on the device to keep privacy secure between them and their young ones. Play with the S5 at home and test if privacy is what Samsung claims it to be.
The Galaxy Gear is the best accessory matched for the Galaxy S5, and for thoes who already have one, it is best to check the syncing between the two while in stores. It is better to have the connection fixed during the purchase than get a headache at home or in the office.
Some people purchase insurance to extend the effects of guarantee on top of the device's warranty. It may be expensive but useful when things go bad on the warranty details of the Galaxy S5. The smartphone also has Corning Gorilla Glass 3 and water resistance which shouldn't be faulty.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones