Police Fail to Arrest Head of Sahara Conglomerate Subrata Roy
February 28, 2014 2:48 PM EST
Police failed on Thursday to detain Subrata Roy, head of the unlisted Sahara conglomerate, a day after the Supreme Court ordered his arrest for failing to attend a hearing.
Sahara and Roy, 65, have been accused of contempt for failing to comply with a 2012 court order to repay billions of dollars to investors in a bond scheme that was later ruled to be illegal.
Sahara, a household name through its long-running sponsorship of the Indian cricket team, says it has paid back most investors and that its remaining liability is less than the 51.2 billion rupees it has deposited with the regulator.
The group has vast real estate holdings as well as operations in media and hotels, including the Plaza Hotel in New York and London's Grosvenor House.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected Roy's request that he be excused from the contempt hearing to be with his 92-year-old mother, and issued an arrest warrant.
But on Thursday, police failed to find him at his sprawling compound in Lucknow.
"I met his ailing mother and other members of the family who were there," police inspector Ajit Singh Chauhan told a crowd of reporters after spending about 90 minutes inside the compound.
Three directors of Sahara companies did appear as scheduled on Wednesday. Sahara officials could not immediately be reached for comment on Roy, but his lawyers applied to the Supreme Court on Thursday for cancellation of the arrest order.
Roy, often described as a billionaire in media reports, said last year he had personal assets of less than $1 million.
Despite its profile, Sahara is outside the mainstream of corporate India. Unlike many Indian CEOs, Roy is not a regular on the industry conference circuit, but is often photographed with cricketers and Bollywood stars.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand