Latest Boxing News: Amir Khan Offered $8M To Face Compatriot Kell Brook
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 28, 2014 2:05 PM EST
Amir Khan might have lost a chance to earn the biggest paycheck of his career, but a really nice consolation prize is on the table for him to accept. According to Ring TV, Boxing Promoter Eddie Hearn has allocated $8 million for Khan to accept a showdown with undefeated welterweight Kell Brook.
Amir Khan is hoping for a shot at unifying the light-welterweight division before stepping up to 147lbs. [Reuters]
Hearn is pushing for an All-Briton welterweight clash this year, with Brook risking his immaculate 31-0 record (21 knockouts) against the two-time Jr. Welterweight champion in Khan.
In an interview with Ring TV, Hearn said he took the opportunity to offer big money to Khan when he sensed his showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. was falling apart. He believed a domestic encounter between his ward, Brook, and Khan will generate tremendous interest in the British boxing community.
"When we heard Khan-Mayweather fight was on the brink of falling through, I made a serious offer for him to fight Kell," Hearn said via RingTV. "That offer, £5 million, is still on the table and will remain there for the foreseeable future."
Not Slamdunk Fight
Ring TV Writer Harry Pratt said the Brook-Khan fight is going to face major roadblocks in its negotiations because the fighters are tied with different cable company.
"Whether Khan (28-3, 19 knockouts) will take the financial bait to face 27-year-old Brook remains to be seen. One possible snag to an immediate and successful conclusion to negotiations is that Khan is contracted for one more fight on Frank Warren's BoxNation channel, while Hearn's Matchroom stable is tied into a long-term deal with Sky Sports," Pratt added.
But the boxing writer agreed the fight will certainly fascinate the imagination of boxing fans in Great Britain, who are hungry to see another pound-for-pound contender after Ricky 'the Hitman' Hatton.
"But not in doubt is that it would be a grudge bout to capture the British public's imagination. Khan and Brook (31-0, 21 KOs) have never seen eye to eye and have had several verbal spats, usually via Twitter, over the last 18 months - with Brook, the RING's No.4-rated welterweight, accusing Khan of constantly swerving calls to settle their differences in the ring," the writer noted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James