Latest Boxing News: Amir Khan Offered $8M To Face Compatriot Kell Brook
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 28, 2014 2:05 PM EST
Amir Khan might have lost a chance to earn the biggest paycheck of his career, but a really nice consolation prize is on the table for him to accept. According to Ring TV, Boxing Promoter Eddie Hearn has allocated $8 million for Khan to accept a showdown with undefeated welterweight Kell Brook.
Amir Khan is hoping for a shot at unifying the light-welterweight division before stepping up to 147lbs. [Reuters]
Hearn is pushing for an All-Briton welterweight clash this year, with Brook risking his immaculate 31-0 record (21 knockouts) against the two-time Jr. Welterweight champion in Khan.
In an interview with Ring TV, Hearn said he took the opportunity to offer big money to Khan when he sensed his showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. was falling apart. He believed a domestic encounter between his ward, Brook, and Khan will generate tremendous interest in the British boxing community.
"When we heard Khan-Mayweather fight was on the brink of falling through, I made a serious offer for him to fight Kell," Hearn said via RingTV. "That offer, £5 million, is still on the table and will remain there for the foreseeable future."
Not Slamdunk Fight
Ring TV Writer Harry Pratt said the Brook-Khan fight is going to face major roadblocks in its negotiations because the fighters are tied with different cable company.
"Whether Khan (28-3, 19 knockouts) will take the financial bait to face 27-year-old Brook remains to be seen. One possible snag to an immediate and successful conclusion to negotiations is that Khan is contracted for one more fight on Frank Warren's BoxNation channel, while Hearn's Matchroom stable is tied into a long-term deal with Sky Sports," Pratt added.
But the boxing writer agreed the fight will certainly fascinate the imagination of boxing fans in Great Britain, who are hungry to see another pound-for-pound contender after Ricky 'the Hitman' Hatton.
"But not in doubt is that it would be a grudge bout to capture the British public's imagination. Khan and Brook (31-0, 21 KOs) have never seen eye to eye and have had several verbal spats, usually via Twitter, over the last 18 months - with Brook, the RING's No.4-rated welterweight, accusing Khan of constantly swerving calls to settle their differences in the ring," the writer noted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports