Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" Music Video Edited After Petition to Remove the Islamic Symbol for "Allah"
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | February 28, 2014 2:00 PM EST
Katy Perry removes controversial Islamic symbol "Allah" in her "Dark Horse" music video after a U.K. resident started a petition on Change.org. The music video was released on Feb. 20, 2014 through the pop star's Twitter account, and since then the video has been the talk of the town.
Singer Katy Perry performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014.
According to MTV, the music video is edited during the part when a man wearing numerous necklaces melts into a pile. Critics noted that the man brings with him into the pile a pendant with the word Allah, and the critics thought it was offensive.
In the video, there is a scene when Katy Perry points her fingers at the man, and the man burns with the necklace bearing the Islamic symbol.
Shazad Iqbal from Bradford, United Kingdom started the online petition on Change.org, claiming that the clip is "highly controversial."
"At 01.15 into the video 'Dark Horse', a man is shown being burned, whilst wearing a pendant (also burned) forming the word 'Allah', which is the Arabic word for God," Iqbal wrote.
According to the online petition, the music video is "highly controversial" and "promotes blasphemy." The petition has reached over 60,000 signatures and received numerous likes and shares on Facebook and Twitter.
But according to Fox News, to Dan Gainor, VP of Business and Culture at the Media Research Center, the petition is ridiculous.
"The image of the pendant goes by so fast it's almost impossible to even notice. YouTube isn't perfect, but this is ridiculous," Gainor said. "Just as Muslims were outraged by portrayals in 'South Park,' they are outraged by this. Meanwhile, Christians are criticized, abused, parodied, persecuted and worse on a daily basis in the news and entertainment media."
The said petition, despite the majority of people's positive response, still received negative comments and remarks like "why was he watching the video in the first place?"
"...a lot of people are saying this [music video] is really minor and trivial; my answer to you is it may be minor to you but defending and raising the name of my Lord means everything to me and secondly if we do turn a blind eye and not watch the videos it will just continue to happen," Iqbal explained.
The result of the online petition brought Katy Perry to have the Islamic symbol removed from the music video. The petition has been heard, even though the said video has not been completely removed from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide