Sony Xperia Z2: A Close Samsung Galaxy S5 Competitor with Better Sounds, but Only 6 Months’ Worth of Flagship Title?
By Gel Galang | February 28, 2014 1:41 PM EST
But the Samsung Galaxy S5 is not alone in being touted as one of the more powerful phones in this generation. On paper, the Sony Xperia Z2 is just as good as a contender, considering the features that the two phones seem to share.
Stuff TV does a comparison of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Sony Xperia Z2, and lines up some of the similarities between the two devices. For starters, the basic look of the two border on being the same. The Samsung Galaxy S5 has a 5.1-inch screen that has a 1920x1080 resolution, while the Xperia Z2 has a 5.2-inch screen with 1920x1080 resolution. Though the Samsung Galaxy S5's AMOLED is excellent in terms of colour, contrast, and viewing angles, the Xperia Z2's Live Colour LED also presents better backlight and deep colours that don't disappoint.
In terms of processors, the Sony Xperia Z2 is at par with the Samsung Galaxy S5, as it boasts a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 2.3GHz quad-core and 3GB of RAM. Though the Galaxy S5 does a slightly faster run with the Snapdragon 805 2.5GHz quad-core, it only has 2GB of RAM. It's basically choosing which one you will need more--the multitasking features or a quick run overall.
The camera is also a good bet for the Sony Xperia Z2. Compared to the Samsung Galaxy S5's 16-megapixel rear camera, which now has better High Dynamic Range, the Xperia Z2 has a bigger sensor for the 20.7-megapixel camera of the Z1. This means better, sharp and clearer photos overall. Stabilization and focusing issues are also resolved with a number of camera apps and 4K quality video recording with 120FPS slo-mo playback makes the Sony Xperia Z2 camera something of a bigger shot.
The Sony Xperia Z2 advantage: Better on the ears
Being a Sony brand, it's almost expected that the Xperia Z2 will have better speakers and sounds compared to other smartphone devices, and its latest flagship delivers on the expectations.
According to Phone Arena, the Sony Xperia Z2 is coming with great audio features, which include noise cancellation and stereo speakers. Hailing to a similar feature introduced by HTC, Sony will have its own S-Force Front Surround Sound, which may be the brand's take on this particular technology.
In addition, the built-in noise cancelation feature is in the actual unit instead of the headphones, where it does digital signal processing, and the overall quality of the new audio technology seems to be at par with HTC's BoomSound.
Sony Xperia Z2 to have only 6 months as the flagship?
Despite being a powerful phone in all aspects, it seems that Sony plans the Xperia Z2 to have a short-lived run as the flagship phone of the company for 2014. If most devices have at least a year to boast as the flagship device, the Xperia Z2 will only have six months to carry the name.
This is according to a report from GSM Arena, which quotes the interview of Yoshiro Kurozumi, Sony Mobile's creative director, UX general manager and director of product panning. Kurozumi states that the Xperia Z2, and succeeding devices in general, should only be six months.
This can mean that Sony is planning on upgrading its cycle of devices to just six months, instead of the usual one-year cycle that most smartphone brands adhere to. Kurozumi reiterates that faster upgrades ensure that the phone will be a competitive one.
So basically, the Sony Xperia Z2 may see the light of flagship status for the first part of 2014 alone. In addition to this, the report also quotes Kurozumi on expanding beyond the OmniBalance design of the smartphone, which have been the basis for the Xperia line.
Overall, this can mean a new phone altogether unveiled sometime before 2014 ends. Do you think it's worth switching phones halfway into the year?
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. Nexus 5 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter