Samsung Galaxy S5 Has Less Storage Than You Think: Reasons Not to Buy?
By Precious Silva | February 28, 2014 11:13 AM EST
Samsung took the wraps off its flagship phone, Galaxy S5, last Monday during the Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona, Spain. According to the company, users can choose from 16 and 32 GB Samsung Galaxy S5 variants. Analysts advise users that these numbers do not mean as much because they do not offer the exact space stated. So how much will a user get in reality?
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
Most tech manufacturers cite internal storage capacities short of the actual amount available. This is a given for many devices. Many users are also aware of this. Nonetheless, it does not hurt to look deeper into what is really available so people know what they are paying for.
As mentioned, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is available in 16 and 32GB configurations. These numbers are short of what people can access once they turn their devices on. The internal storage is taken up by the operating system. Pre-loaded apps on the smartphone also take away a portion of that memory. People will have to check the About section of their devices to see how much space they can work with.
According to analysts, Samsung has a record of taking up more storage compared to other tablet or smartphone manufacturer. However, the company takes it further with the new Samsung Galaxy S5. For example, if a user opts for a 16 GB model, they will only have 7.86 GB free space.
Fortunately, before the company receives a backlash for the internal memory, it made sure the Galaxy S5 remains one of the few Android devices to allow removable storage. Contrary to earlier Galaxy S devices, the Samsung Galaxy S5 follows a design or framework under Android 4.4.2—Google's rules. This means users can still expect a fast and great performing removable storage.
Analysts advise users to go for the 32 GB if they can for more memory. However, availability of the 32 GB depends on the region and the carrier. The Samsung Galaxy S5 comes packed with the following features:
- Size: 142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm
- Weight: 145 g
- 5.1-inch FHD Super AMOLED display (1,920 x 1,080 resolution)
- 2.5 GHz quad-core processor
- 2 GB RAM
- 16/32 GB memory
- microSD support up to 128 GB
- 16-MP camera with UHD 4K video recording at 30 fps and various software features
- 2-MP front-facing camera
- LTE Cat 4 (150/50 Mbps) support
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac HT80 MIMO (2×2) Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 4.0 BLE/ANT_
- USB 3.0
- IR Remote
- 2,800 mAh battery
- IP67 dust and water resistance
- Fingerprint scanner
- Heart rate sensor
- Android 4.4 KitKat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes