Canadian Parliament Eyes Tougher Sentence for Child Sex Offenders, Child Porn & Sex Tourism
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 28, 2014 10:42 AM EST
It Isn’t a Crime in Georgia to Text Image of a Tattooed Genital; Digital Condoms from Georgia Tech (WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEOS)
Hey, Dad! Your Pants Is Down: 7-Year-Old Aussie Actor Accuses Actor Robert Hughes of Indecent Exposure at Sydney Set of TV Series
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
Canadian Justice Minister Peter MacKay tabled a bill in the House of Commons on Wednesday, giving prosecutors more power to force spouse to testify in child pornography cases, provide border officials better ability to trace travelling sex predators and grant the public more access to a new national database of high-risk child sex offenders.
The legislation aims to toughen Canada's laws versus child sexual predators, makers and consumers of child pornography and people who travel overseas for sex tourism.
The bill proposes tougher mandatory minimum and available maximum jail terms for various sexual offences against children, higher penalties for repeat offenders who break probation or court orders and mandates those with convictions for harming multiple victims to serve their sentences consecutively.
It seeks to address some gaps in the law such as lack of strict reporting requirements on registered sex offenders who leave Canada and lack of information sharing between the police who are responsible for the National Sex Offender Registry and border officials with the Canada Border Services Agency. There are 30,000 names on the registry, while Ontario has a separate sex offender database with 16,000 entries.
YouTube/Kids Live Safe
Mr MacKay explained that "people have the right to know if a child abuser lives in their neighbourhood," quoted by ifpress.
The present rules require registered sex offenders to inform authorities of trip overseas only if they will be gone for over seven days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Satanic Sex Cult Has 1800 Men Having Sex With A Teen
- Mass Rapes In Iraq & Syria As Islamic State Seeks To Populate Caliphate; Male Muslim Recruits Also Sodomised
- Mafia-Style Family Emerged in Thailand
- Expect More Beheadings As Islamic State Urges Jihadists To Kill By Any Means Possible Australians & Other Citizens Of Nations Who Enter Into Coalition Against IS
- 5 Famous People Who've Spent Time In Jail
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?