Canadian Parliament Eyes Tougher Sentence for Child Sex Offenders, Child Porn & Sex Tourism
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 28, 2014 10:42 AM EST
It Isn’t a Crime in Georgia to Text Image of a Tattooed Genital; Digital Condoms from Georgia Tech (WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEOS)
Hey, Dad! Your Pants Is Down: 7-Year-Old Aussie Actor Accuses Actor Robert Hughes of Indecent Exposure at Sydney Set of TV Series
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
Canadian Justice Minister Peter MacKay tabled a bill in the House of Commons on Wednesday, giving prosecutors more power to force spouse to testify in child pornography cases, provide border officials better ability to trace travelling sex predators and grant the public more access to a new national database of high-risk child sex offenders.
The legislation aims to toughen Canada's laws versus child sexual predators, makers and consumers of child pornography and people who travel overseas for sex tourism.
The bill proposes tougher mandatory minimum and available maximum jail terms for various sexual offences against children, higher penalties for repeat offenders who break probation or court orders and mandates those with convictions for harming multiple victims to serve their sentences consecutively.
It seeks to address some gaps in the law such as lack of strict reporting requirements on registered sex offenders who leave Canada and lack of information sharing between the police who are responsible for the National Sex Offender Registry and border officials with the Canada Border Services Agency. There are 30,000 names on the registry, while Ontario has a separate sex offender database with 16,000 entries.
YouTube/Kids Live Safe
Mr MacKay explained that "people have the right to know if a child abuser lives in their neighbourhood," quoted by ifpress.
The present rules require registered sex offenders to inform authorities of trip overseas only if they will be gone for over seven days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation