Indian Government to Collect Penal Interest from States for Delay in Fund Transfer to Implementation Entities
By Rama Mohan | February 28, 2014 1:28 AM EST
The Indian government is to charge penal interest on state governments, if they delay the transfer of funds for more than 15 days from the Consolidated Fund of the States to the Implementation Entities (IEs).
A view of the parliament building, New Delhi.
The step has been taken by the Central government to ensure expeditious utilization of grants under the Rajiv Gandhi Panchayat Sashaktikaran Abhiyan (RGPSA) and the Backward Regions Grant Fund (BRGF) programme, the government said on 27 February.
The Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj stated on 27 February that under the RGPSA, which has become fully operational in 2013-14, is to strengthen Panchayats. Grant-in-aid is provided to States on the basis of approved State Plans.
Under the BRGF, untied grants are released to states for development of basic infrastructure facilities and for capacity building of panchayats/gram sabhas in the backward districts and regions.
Meanwhile, the Union Ministry of Tribal Welfare, on the same day, said that it has released ₹3,313.576 crore for employment generation for tribal population in 2013-14 up to February 2014 to the states, PIB said. The Ministry, under its Special Area Programme of Special Central Assistance to Tribal Sub-Plan (SCA to TSP), provides funds as an additive to the state plan for economic development of tribals in the states.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]