NFL Trade News: Darrelle Revis To Be Traded Soon; Tampa Bay Buccaneers Open To Move Cornerback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 28, 2014 1:28 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly considering in trading one of the best defensive players in the NFL in cornerback Darrelle Revis before the start of the season, according to a reliable league source.
Darrelle Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the NFL.
Revis, who arrived in Tampa Bay after he was traded by the New York Jets last season, could play in a different uniform for the second time in two seasons, as rumors continues to circulate that he's on his way out of the Buccaneers locker room.
"Teams have contacted the Bucs about trading for Darrelle Revis and many believe the Pro Bowl cornerback could be dealt by the start of the league year," Tampa Bay Times Rick Stroud reported on Tuesday.
"Although the Bucs did not initiate the talks and are not shopping Revis, several teams at the NFL combine in Indianapolis began to explore whether Tampa Bay would consider a trade that would save $16-million on the salary cap to improve in other areas while potentially netting more draft picks," the insider added.
The 29-year old Revis occupied a big portion of the team's projected salary cap ($132 million) in 2014. According to NFL analysts, dealing Revis to another team seems to be a no brainer since it would help the franchise address some of the loopholes on their roster.
The Bucs also have the no.7 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Entry draft and could draw interest from Viking defensive end Jared Allen and Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, who will command lucrative deals.
"It means Revis, who turns 29 in July, is occupying a huge chunk of the projected $132-million salary cap in 2014 that the Bucs could use to greatly improve their team, perhaps netting as many as three free agents.
Because there is no acceleration on the salary cap if Revis is traded or released, the Bucs could clear space to address other areas of need such as the defensive and offensive line while also acquiring an additional draft pick or two. The Bucs own the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 draft."
Despite coming off an ACL injury, Revis was selected to his fifth Pro Bowl after recording 50 tackles with two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 16 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]