NFL Trade News: Darrelle Revis To Be Traded Soon; Tampa Bay Buccaneers Open To Move Cornerback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 28, 2014 1:28 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly considering in trading one of the best defensive players in the NFL in cornerback Darrelle Revis before the start of the season, according to a reliable league source.
Darrelle Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the NFL.
Revis, who arrived in Tampa Bay after he was traded by the New York Jets last season, could play in a different uniform for the second time in two seasons, as rumors continues to circulate that he's on his way out of the Buccaneers locker room.
"Teams have contacted the Bucs about trading for Darrelle Revis and many believe the Pro Bowl cornerback could be dealt by the start of the league year," Tampa Bay Times Rick Stroud reported on Tuesday.
"Although the Bucs did not initiate the talks and are not shopping Revis, several teams at the NFL combine in Indianapolis began to explore whether Tampa Bay would consider a trade that would save $16-million on the salary cap to improve in other areas while potentially netting more draft picks," the insider added.
The 29-year old Revis occupied a big portion of the team's projected salary cap ($132 million) in 2014. According to NFL analysts, dealing Revis to another team seems to be a no brainer since it would help the franchise address some of the loopholes on their roster.
The Bucs also have the no.7 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Entry draft and could draw interest from Viking defensive end Jared Allen and Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, who will command lucrative deals.
"It means Revis, who turns 29 in July, is occupying a huge chunk of the projected $132-million salary cap in 2014 that the Bucs could use to greatly improve their team, perhaps netting as many as three free agents.
Because there is no acceleration on the salary cap if Revis is traded or released, the Bucs could clear space to address other areas of need such as the defensive and offensive line while also acquiring an additional draft pick or two. The Bucs own the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 draft."
Despite coming off an ACL injury, Revis was selected to his fifth Pro Bowl after recording 50 tackles with two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 16 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install