NFL Trade News: Darrelle Revis To Be Traded Soon; Tampa Bay Buccaneers Open To Move Cornerback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 28, 2014 1:28 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly considering in trading one of the best defensive players in the NFL in cornerback Darrelle Revis before the start of the season, according to a reliable league source.
Darrelle Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the NFL.
Revis, who arrived in Tampa Bay after he was traded by the New York Jets last season, could play in a different uniform for the second time in two seasons, as rumors continues to circulate that he's on his way out of the Buccaneers locker room.
"Teams have contacted the Bucs about trading for Darrelle Revis and many believe the Pro Bowl cornerback could be dealt by the start of the league year," Tampa Bay Times Rick Stroud reported on Tuesday.
"Although the Bucs did not initiate the talks and are not shopping Revis, several teams at the NFL combine in Indianapolis began to explore whether Tampa Bay would consider a trade that would save $16-million on the salary cap to improve in other areas while potentially netting more draft picks," the insider added.
The 29-year old Revis occupied a big portion of the team's projected salary cap ($132 million) in 2014. According to NFL analysts, dealing Revis to another team seems to be a no brainer since it would help the franchise address some of the loopholes on their roster.
The Bucs also have the no.7 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Entry draft and could draw interest from Viking defensive end Jared Allen and Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, who will command lucrative deals.
"It means Revis, who turns 29 in July, is occupying a huge chunk of the projected $132-million salary cap in 2014 that the Bucs could use to greatly improve their team, perhaps netting as many as three free agents.
Because there is no acceleration on the salary cap if Revis is traded or released, the Bucs could clear space to address other areas of need such as the defensive and offensive line while also acquiring an additional draft pick or two. The Bucs own the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 draft."
Despite coming off an ACL injury, Revis was selected to his fifth Pro Bowl after recording 50 tackles with two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 16 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage