NFL Trade News: Darrelle Revis To Be Traded Soon; Tampa Bay Buccaneers Open To Move Cornerback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 28, 2014 1:28 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly considering in trading one of the best defensive players in the NFL in cornerback Darrelle Revis before the start of the season, according to a reliable league source.
Darrelle Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the NFL.
Revis, who arrived in Tampa Bay after he was traded by the New York Jets last season, could play in a different uniform for the second time in two seasons, as rumors continues to circulate that he's on his way out of the Buccaneers locker room.
"Teams have contacted the Bucs about trading for Darrelle Revis and many believe the Pro Bowl cornerback could be dealt by the start of the league year," Tampa Bay Times Rick Stroud reported on Tuesday.
"Although the Bucs did not initiate the talks and are not shopping Revis, several teams at the NFL combine in Indianapolis began to explore whether Tampa Bay would consider a trade that would save $16-million on the salary cap to improve in other areas while potentially netting more draft picks," the insider added.
The 29-year old Revis occupied a big portion of the team's projected salary cap ($132 million) in 2014. According to NFL analysts, dealing Revis to another team seems to be a no brainer since it would help the franchise address some of the loopholes on their roster.
The Bucs also have the no.7 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Entry draft and could draw interest from Viking defensive end Jared Allen and Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, who will command lucrative deals.
"It means Revis, who turns 29 in July, is occupying a huge chunk of the projected $132-million salary cap in 2014 that the Bucs could use to greatly improve their team, perhaps netting as many as three free agents.
Because there is no acceleration on the salary cap if Revis is traded or released, the Bucs could clear space to address other areas of need such as the defensive and offensive line while also acquiring an additional draft pick or two. The Bucs own the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 draft."
Despite coming off an ACL injury, Revis was selected to his fifth Pro Bowl after recording 50 tackles with two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 16 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People