NFL Trade News: Darrelle Revis To Be Traded Soon; Tampa Bay Buccaneers Open To Move Cornerback
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 28, 2014 1:28 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly considering in trading one of the best defensive players in the NFL in cornerback Darrelle Revis before the start of the season, according to a reliable league source.
Darrelle Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the NFL.
Revis, who arrived in Tampa Bay after he was traded by the New York Jets last season, could play in a different uniform for the second time in two seasons, as rumors continues to circulate that he's on his way out of the Buccaneers locker room.
"Teams have contacted the Bucs about trading for Darrelle Revis and many believe the Pro Bowl cornerback could be dealt by the start of the league year," Tampa Bay Times Rick Stroud reported on Tuesday.
"Although the Bucs did not initiate the talks and are not shopping Revis, several teams at the NFL combine in Indianapolis began to explore whether Tampa Bay would consider a trade that would save $16-million on the salary cap to improve in other areas while potentially netting more draft picks," the insider added.
The 29-year old Revis occupied a big portion of the team's projected salary cap ($132 million) in 2014. According to NFL analysts, dealing Revis to another team seems to be a no brainer since it would help the franchise address some of the loopholes on their roster.
The Bucs also have the no.7 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Entry draft and could draw interest from Viking defensive end Jared Allen and Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, who will command lucrative deals.
"It means Revis, who turns 29 in July, is occupying a huge chunk of the projected $132-million salary cap in 2014 that the Bucs could use to greatly improve their team, perhaps netting as many as three free agents.
Because there is no acceleration on the salary cap if Revis is traded or released, the Bucs could clear space to address other areas of need such as the defensive and offensive line while also acquiring an additional draft pick or two. The Bucs own the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 draft."
Despite coming off an ACL injury, Revis was selected to his fifth Pro Bowl after recording 50 tackles with two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 16 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation