Stripped: 'Calvin and Hobbes' Creator Bill Watterson's First Cartoon in 19 Years
By Johnlee Varghese | February 28, 2014 12:55 AM EST
After almost two decades since the 'Calvin and Hobbes' cartoon strip was brought to an end, Bill Watterson - the ever elusive and reclusive creator of the popular series -has hand-painted a poster art for a documentary titled 'Stripped'. This would be a first by Watterson, who is widely known for keeping media and any type of publicity at arm's length.
In another first, Watterson has given his first ever recorded interview for 'Stripped', which is a full-length documentary on the world's best cartoonists.
According to Stripped website, "the film explores the art of the comics strip, the cartoonists behind your favorite strips, and where the art form goes as newspapers die."
The last strip of 'Calvin and Hobbes' was published on 31 December 1995, and since then Watterson has made it clear that it will not return. While he managed to keep away from the public view, it was reported that he has taken up painting.
Webcartoonist Dave Kellett finally managed to get Watterson for the interview, though the documentary will only have his audio interview.
'Stripped' talks about the decline of the newspaper industry and its subsequent impact on cartoonists. The documentary will feature several renowned cartoonists, such as Jim Davis (Garfield), Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics), Richard Thompson (Cul de Sac) and Jeph Jacques (Questionable Content).
The picture by Watterson captures the impact of the declining newspaper industry. The art shows a grown man - a cartoonist - popping out of his clothes, reading about the news of a newspaper closure.
“Given the movie’s title and the fact that there are few things funnier than human nudity, the idea popped into my head largely intact,” Washington Post quoted Watterson. “The film is a big valentine to comics, so I tried to do something really cartoon-y. I had thought of having it colored with off-registered printing dots like newspaper comics, but Dave asked if I’d paint it instead, and I think he made the right call.”
Click here for the 3,150th and final strip of 'Calvin and Hobbes'.
Watch trailer of 'Stripped'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch