Stripped: 'Calvin and Hobbes' Creator Bill Watterson's First Cartoon in 19 Years
By Johnlee Varghese | February 28, 2014 12:55 AM EST
After almost two decades since the 'Calvin and Hobbes' cartoon strip was brought to an end, Bill Watterson - the ever elusive and reclusive creator of the popular series -has hand-painted a poster art for a documentary titled 'Stripped'. This would be a first by Watterson, who is widely known for keeping media and any type of publicity at arm's length.
In another first, Watterson has given his first ever recorded interview for 'Stripped', which is a full-length documentary on the world's best cartoonists.
According to Stripped website, "the film explores the art of the comics strip, the cartoonists behind your favorite strips, and where the art form goes as newspapers die."
The last strip of 'Calvin and Hobbes' was published on 31 December 1995, and since then Watterson has made it clear that it will not return. While he managed to keep away from the public view, it was reported that he has taken up painting.
Webcartoonist Dave Kellett finally managed to get Watterson for the interview, though the documentary will only have his audio interview.
'Stripped' talks about the decline of the newspaper industry and its subsequent impact on cartoonists. The documentary will feature several renowned cartoonists, such as Jim Davis (Garfield), Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics), Richard Thompson (Cul de Sac) and Jeph Jacques (Questionable Content).
The picture by Watterson captures the impact of the declining newspaper industry. The art shows a grown man - a cartoonist - popping out of his clothes, reading about the news of a newspaper closure.
“Given the movie’s title and the fact that there are few things funnier than human nudity, the idea popped into my head largely intact,” Washington Post quoted Watterson. “The film is a big valentine to comics, so I tried to do something really cartoon-y. I had thought of having it colored with off-registered printing dots like newspaper comics, but Dave asked if I’d paint it instead, and I think he made the right call.”
Click here for the 3,150th and final strip of 'Calvin and Hobbes'.
Watch trailer of 'Stripped'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People