Bangalore Gets India's First Electric Bus [PHOTOS]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 28, 2014 12:24 AM EST
Bangalore, dubbed as the IT-capital of India, introduced the first hybrid electric bus in the country on Thursday, to meet its mass transport requirements.
The state-run Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) will be operating the electric bus on a trial basis for three months and, based on the success of the operations, it will be expanding the services, a BMTC official informed.
With the growing number of vehicles, India is grappling with pollution-related problems. Though our closest neighbour China has started learning from its mistakes, India is yet to adapt steps towards greener, sustainable modes of transport.
Even though Delhi started a step with the introduction of CNG-Electric hybrid in 2010, the move never made any progress due to the high cost involved.
The new electric hybrid introduced in the south Indian city of Bangalore is currently the only electric bus being put to use by a transport agency in the country. Hence, it is no surprise that pollution is a perpetual problem in India, which has about 142 million registered vehicles.
Delhi was caught recently in the world news, after reports emerged that it has surpassed Beijing for having the worst air quality. A report, carried by the Hindustan Times, claimed that New Delhi had earned the dubious tag of being the world’s most polluted city, according to the Environmental Performance Index (EPI).
Bangalore is also a metro city, just like Delhi, and is facing high-level of pollution with the increased road traffic. In this case, adopting greener sustainable measures like the new electric bus would help in addressing the challenges of this growing city.
According to BMTC, the 29-seater electric hybrid will run six trips on the Majestic to Kadugodi route (335 E) daily. The zero emission vehicle can run for 250km per charge and each charge takes about 6 hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales