Latest Cosmetic Trend: More Young Men Seek Beard Transplants In U.S. And Canada
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 28, 2014 12:04 AM EST
A growing trend of beard transplants among Canadian men are on the rise. The reason behind such an expensive transplant seems to be a "hipster" culture, encouraging men to flaunt thick facial hair.
According to Toronto Surgeon Dr. Paul Cotterill, a specialist of hair transplants, the growing trend among Canadian men is more cosmetic. Earlier, men would go for such transplants when they wanted to hide any kind of burn or scar on their face. But today, Dr Cotterill said most men would like to do beard transplant purely from a cosmetic point of view, as reported by CTV News. Seemingly, it is similar to any other cosmetic surgeries like breast transplant or nose job which is purely conducted for aesthetics purposes.
But this trend is not only limited to Canada. DNA Info reported having beard transplant was equally popular in New York. Men are willing to do facial hair transplants to look more like hipsters. The surgery that costs anywhere between $3,000 and $7,000 is supposed to help those who do not grow their bread well enough to look like hipsters.
Dr. Jeffrey Epstein has been performing similar surgeries for a decade now. He said he did only a few surgeries during the first years of his career around 10 years back. But the number seems to be increasing significantly. He claimed he did around three facial hair transplants in a week on the average in his Miami and Midtown East offices.
Dr. Yael Halaas, another cosmetic surgeon, specializing in beard transplant, said young professionals in their 20s and 30s who would like to see themselves "fashionable" and "hip" sought such procedure.
He added many professionals involved in "detail-oriented" jobs like architecture and artistry preferred such transplants. Experts said it is one of those fashion crazes which keep changing every decade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- What Quinoa Is And Why It's Good For Weight Loss
- Home Flu Test Kit Available Soon
- Preterm Birth Complications Outranks Leading Causes Of Death In Young Children
- Bird Flu Update: European Union Commission Enforces Curbs On Poultry : UK Says It Is At Low Risk
- New Zealand Study Finds Link Between Low Credit Scores and Poor Health
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary