‘Star Wars Episode VII’: Adam Driver to Play New Villain, Will 'Girls' Actor Make a Good Bad Guy?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 27, 2014 9:54 PM EST
Adam Driver, who plays Lena Dunham’s boyfriend on popular television series “Girls,” is all set to turn evil, as he has landed a prime role in J J Abrams’ “Star Wars – Episode VII.”
Production and casting details of the movie, which is set to release in December 2015, has been kept under wraps, but Dunham confirmed the news by posting a congratulatory message to Driver on her Twitter page.
"We're VERY proud of Adam Driver re: Star Wars. He's about to rip a hole in da force. Is that a thing? I guess I should see those movies?" Dunham wrote.
Realising that she may have revealed more than she intended to, Dunham added: “I confirm nothing bc I know nothing bc I'm on a plane with my dad! I just like Adam more than almost anyone, and JJ Abrams a whole lot too.”
Driver, who landed the role by beating the likes of Michael Fassbender and Hugo Weaving, is yet to comment on the news, which was first reported by Variety.
But, industry sources believe that Driver has been in talks to star in the movie for a while now, and the delay in finalising the deal was due to some scheduling issues.
Reportedly, Driver is keen to continue his stint as Dunham’s boyfriend on “Girls” while working on “Star Wars- Episode VII,” the shooting of which will commence in April.
The exact nature of Driver’s character has also not been revealed, but speculations are rife that the character is similar to Darth Vader. If the reports are true, Driver will join original “Star Wars” franchise actors such as Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, who have all confirmed their involvement in the movie.
“Star Wars – Episode VII” picks off from where the “Return of the Jedi” left off, and Driver fans are optimistic that he will make a good villain.
The progression of his character in “Girls” has shown fans that he is an actor with a lot of depth and range. Many also believe that working on one of the most popular movie franchises could give his career a boost.
Check out some of the tweets below:
SO HYPED for Adam Driver to play a villain in Star Wars Episode VII. Might actually be GOOD, who'd have thought it.
— Callum Bayliss (@cBaylizz) February 26, 2014
Adam driver as the villain in the new #starwars movie would be fantastic. Hes the best part of the show #girls plus hes good at creepy lol — Justin Burkhardt (@JustinBurkhardt) February 26, 2014
Looks like Adam Driver is going to play the villain role in Star Wars: Episode VII. He already looks like a villain. Good choice, @Disney.
— Patrick (@PtotheSmizzo) February 26, 2014
Meanwhile, it is worth noting that Driver’s name popped up a couple of times in the past for larger movie roles including the role of Lex Luthor in “Batman Vs. Superman.” The role eventually went to Jesse Eisenberg of “The Social Network” fame.
He was also considered for the part of Nightwing in the same movie, reports indicated.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown