‘Star Wars Episode VII’: Adam Driver to Play New Villain, Will 'Girls' Actor Make a Good Bad Guy?
By Keerthi Mohan | February 27, 2014 9:54 PM EST
Adam Driver, who plays Lena Dunham’s boyfriend on popular television series “Girls,” is all set to turn evil, as he has landed a prime role in J J Abrams’ “Star Wars – Episode VII.”
Production and casting details of the movie, which is set to release in December 2015, has been kept under wraps, but Dunham confirmed the news by posting a congratulatory message to Driver on her Twitter page.
"We're VERY proud of Adam Driver re: Star Wars. He's about to rip a hole in da force. Is that a thing? I guess I should see those movies?" Dunham wrote.
Realising that she may have revealed more than she intended to, Dunham added: “I confirm nothing bc I know nothing bc I'm on a plane with my dad! I just like Adam more than almost anyone, and JJ Abrams a whole lot too.”
Driver, who landed the role by beating the likes of Michael Fassbender and Hugo Weaving, is yet to comment on the news, which was first reported by Variety.
But, industry sources believe that Driver has been in talks to star in the movie for a while now, and the delay in finalising the deal was due to some scheduling issues.
Reportedly, Driver is keen to continue his stint as Dunham’s boyfriend on “Girls” while working on “Star Wars- Episode VII,” the shooting of which will commence in April.
The exact nature of Driver’s character has also not been revealed, but speculations are rife that the character is similar to Darth Vader. If the reports are true, Driver will join original “Star Wars” franchise actors such as Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, who have all confirmed their involvement in the movie.
“Star Wars – Episode VII” picks off from where the “Return of the Jedi” left off, and Driver fans are optimistic that he will make a good villain.
The progression of his character in “Girls” has shown fans that he is an actor with a lot of depth and range. Many also believe that working on one of the most popular movie franchises could give his career a boost.
Check out some of the tweets below:
SO HYPED for Adam Driver to play a villain in Star Wars Episode VII. Might actually be GOOD, who'd have thought it.
— Callum Bayliss (@cBaylizz) February 26, 2014
Adam driver as the villain in the new #starwars movie would be fantastic. Hes the best part of the show #girls plus hes good at creepy lol — Justin Burkhardt (@JustinBurkhardt) February 26, 2014
Looks like Adam Driver is going to play the villain role in Star Wars: Episode VII. He already looks like a villain. Good choice, @Disney.
— Patrick (@PtotheSmizzo) February 26, 2014
Meanwhile, it is worth noting that Driver’s name popped up a couple of times in the past for larger movie roles including the role of Lex Luthor in “Batman Vs. Superman.” The role eventually went to Jesse Eisenberg of “The Social Network” fame.
He was also considered for the part of Nightwing in the same movie, reports indicated.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage