Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Has Secret Weapon Against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 27, 2014 9:48 PM EST
2012 Trainer of the Year winner Robert Garcia believed Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a much better boxer than his ward Marcos Maidana, but he and the Argentine brawler has a solid game plan to give Money May's his first loss.
Floyd Mayweather is currently in training as he prepares to face Robert Guerrero on May 4 in Vegas. [Reuters]
Garcia is already pumped for one of the biggest fight this year, as Maidana and Mayweather put their welterweight belts at stake in a unification showdown on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The former champion boxer admitted that Maidana is going to take on the toughest fight in his career, as Mayweather Jr. looks to preserve his immaculate record inside the ring. However, Garcia said Maidana could exploit some loopholes they encountered at the time they fought Adrien Broner, who also used Money May's patented shoulder-roll defense.
You know what? I'm not going to start brand new. I do have a lot of things that we did against Broner that should also be effective against Mayweather," Garcia said in an interview with Fight Hype.
Fighting Another Shoulder-Roll Master
Garcia is aware that Mayweather is not in the same league as his prized fighter, though he stressed that they have the styles to make things complicated for the undefeated champ. Garcia said they are going to use the same approach he had during the Broner fight, hoping that it would help his boxer pull off the greatest upset in boxing.
"They're not in the same league and I agree with that. Mayweather's just totally something else, but, going into the fight, it was that Broner could be the next Mayweather and kind of wants to fight the same way that Mayweather fights. You know, I'm not saying that we're going to go in against another Broner, definitely not, but there are some similarities, so we are going to take advantage of it," Garcia said.
Of course, Garcia admitted that Maidana needs to sharpen his game further, if he wants to provide a serious threat to Mayweather. Still, with the odds against them one more time, Garcia really believed that Maidana has the tools to book his biggest win of his career.
"We are going to work extra harder for that, but you know, styles make fights. I said it before the Broner fight, nobody thought we had a chance. Everybody thought we were going to lose to Broner. Very few people gave Maidana a shot, but I always said, you know, we don't have to be better than him; we just have to come out with a good game plan and have the style to beat him. If we fight just the way we did, then we pull it off," added Garcia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced