Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Has Secret Weapon Against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 27, 2014 9:48 PM EST
2012 Trainer of the Year winner Robert Garcia believed Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a much better boxer than his ward Marcos Maidana, but he and the Argentine brawler has a solid game plan to give Money May's his first loss.
Floyd Mayweather is currently in training as he prepares to face Robert Guerrero on May 4 in Vegas. [Reuters]
Garcia is already pumped for one of the biggest fight this year, as Maidana and Mayweather put their welterweight belts at stake in a unification showdown on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The former champion boxer admitted that Maidana is going to take on the toughest fight in his career, as Mayweather Jr. looks to preserve his immaculate record inside the ring. However, Garcia said Maidana could exploit some loopholes they encountered at the time they fought Adrien Broner, who also used Money May's patented shoulder-roll defense.
You know what? I'm not going to start brand new. I do have a lot of things that we did against Broner that should also be effective against Mayweather," Garcia said in an interview with Fight Hype.
Fighting Another Shoulder-Roll Master
Garcia is aware that Mayweather is not in the same league as his prized fighter, though he stressed that they have the styles to make things complicated for the undefeated champ. Garcia said they are going to use the same approach he had during the Broner fight, hoping that it would help his boxer pull off the greatest upset in boxing.
"They're not in the same league and I agree with that. Mayweather's just totally something else, but, going into the fight, it was that Broner could be the next Mayweather and kind of wants to fight the same way that Mayweather fights. You know, I'm not saying that we're going to go in against another Broner, definitely not, but there are some similarities, so we are going to take advantage of it," Garcia said.
Of course, Garcia admitted that Maidana needs to sharpen his game further, if he wants to provide a serious threat to Mayweather. Still, with the odds against them one more time, Garcia really believed that Maidana has the tools to book his biggest win of his career.
"We are going to work extra harder for that, but you know, styles make fights. I said it before the Broner fight, nobody thought we had a chance. Everybody thought we were going to lose to Broner. Very few people gave Maidana a shot, but I always said, you know, we don't have to be better than him; we just have to come out with a good game plan and have the style to beat him. If we fight just the way we did, then we pull it off," added Garcia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble