Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Has Secret Weapon Against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 27, 2014 9:48 PM EST
2012 Trainer of the Year winner Robert Garcia believed Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a much better boxer than his ward Marcos Maidana, but he and the Argentine brawler has a solid game plan to give Money May's his first loss.
Floyd Mayweather is currently in training as he prepares to face Robert Guerrero on May 4 in Vegas. [Reuters]
Garcia is already pumped for one of the biggest fight this year, as Maidana and Mayweather put their welterweight belts at stake in a unification showdown on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The former champion boxer admitted that Maidana is going to take on the toughest fight in his career, as Mayweather Jr. looks to preserve his immaculate record inside the ring. However, Garcia said Maidana could exploit some loopholes they encountered at the time they fought Adrien Broner, who also used Money May's patented shoulder-roll defense.
You know what? I'm not going to start brand new. I do have a lot of things that we did against Broner that should also be effective against Mayweather," Garcia said in an interview with Fight Hype.
Fighting Another Shoulder-Roll Master
Garcia is aware that Mayweather is not in the same league as his prized fighter, though he stressed that they have the styles to make things complicated for the undefeated champ. Garcia said they are going to use the same approach he had during the Broner fight, hoping that it would help his boxer pull off the greatest upset in boxing.
"They're not in the same league and I agree with that. Mayweather's just totally something else, but, going into the fight, it was that Broner could be the next Mayweather and kind of wants to fight the same way that Mayweather fights. You know, I'm not saying that we're going to go in against another Broner, definitely not, but there are some similarities, so we are going to take advantage of it," Garcia said.
Of course, Garcia admitted that Maidana needs to sharpen his game further, if he wants to provide a serious threat to Mayweather. Still, with the odds against them one more time, Garcia really believed that Maidana has the tools to book his biggest win of his career.
"We are going to work extra harder for that, but you know, styles make fights. I said it before the Broner fight, nobody thought we had a chance. Everybody thought we were going to lose to Broner. Very few people gave Maidana a shot, but I always said, you know, we don't have to be better than him; we just have to come out with a good game plan and have the style to beat him. If we fight just the way we did, then we pull it off," added Garcia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Daley Blind Is 'Not Strong Enough' For The Premier League - Scholes
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How