Egg Freezing a ‘Game Changer’ for Urban Women
By Parismita Goswami | February 27, 2014 9:39 PM EST
The option of egg freezing is being rapidly accepted by urban couples, as the technique safeguards their expectation of having children at any time of their lives.
Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) has recently made ground-breaking and revolutionary advancements. It offers multiple techniques to make a couple's dream of bearing children, including those with health ailments and other such issues.
How Egg Freezing a ‘Game Changer’ for Urban Women
One such technology that is fast gaining acceptance among urban women is egg freezing or oocyte cryopreservation.
Egg freezing is a technology which extracts, freeze and store the woman's eggs (oocytes) for indefinite time. Later, when she is prepared to become a mother, the eggs are thawed, fertilized and transferred to the uterus as embryos, TOI quoted Dr Hrishikesh D Pai, director infertility, Fortis La Femme, Delhi.
When the eggs mature, ovulation is triggered with medication and eggs are extracted with the help of ultrasound guided needle through the vagina. The eggs are then immediately frozen at a controlled rate and temperature, Pai further explained.
This technique helps to safeguard women's fertility potential - mostly women who are fighting cancer and undergoing treatments involving high doses of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, which is lethal for woman's egg and even can damage the ovaries.
Moreover, woman holding a family history of early menopause can benefit from this technique too.
Researchers claim that freezing eggs before the age of 35, gives 75 percent higher chances of have a live birth. The procedure is possible despite suffering from gall bladder, pancreas and breast cancers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate