Egg Freezing a ‘Game Changer’ for Urban Women
By Parismita Goswami | February 27, 2014 9:39 PM EST
The option of egg freezing is being rapidly accepted by urban couples, as the technique safeguards their expectation of having children at any time of their lives.
Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) has recently made ground-breaking and revolutionary advancements. It offers multiple techniques to make a couple's dream of bearing children, including those with health ailments and other such issues.
How Egg Freezing a ‘Game Changer’ for Urban Women
One such technology that is fast gaining acceptance among urban women is egg freezing or oocyte cryopreservation.
Egg freezing is a technology which extracts, freeze and store the woman's eggs (oocytes) for indefinite time. Later, when she is prepared to become a mother, the eggs are thawed, fertilized and transferred to the uterus as embryos, TOI quoted Dr Hrishikesh D Pai, director infertility, Fortis La Femme, Delhi.
When the eggs mature, ovulation is triggered with medication and eggs are extracted with the help of ultrasound guided needle through the vagina. The eggs are then immediately frozen at a controlled rate and temperature, Pai further explained.
This technique helps to safeguard women's fertility potential - mostly women who are fighting cancer and undergoing treatments involving high doses of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, which is lethal for woman's egg and even can damage the ovaries.
Moreover, woman holding a family history of early menopause can benefit from this technique too.
Researchers claim that freezing eggs before the age of 35, gives 75 percent higher chances of have a live birth. The procedure is possible despite suffering from gall bladder, pancreas and breast cancers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]