IPL 2014 News: Punjab Will Miss Yuvi, Says Preity Zinta
By Shruthi SU | February 27, 2014 8:46 PM EST
Having retained just two of their players from IPL 6, Kings XI Punjab and co-owner Preity Zinta had made it clear before the start of the IPL 7 auctions that the franchise was reworking strategies. They lost their star player Yuvraj Singh, who got the highest bid this season and will now be featuring for Royal Challengers Bangalore.
"In auctions you do not win every time," Preity told TOI. "The only person we thought we missed was Yuvi. We would have liked to have him as he is from Mohali but we couldn't.
"Thank god after all these years we were able to save some money. Thanks to some sound planning, a few impulsive decisions and Sanjay."
Former India all-rounder Sanjay Bangar is not only Kings XI Punjab's newly appointed assistant coach but he has also influenced most of their decisions in the auction. Preity said it was Yuvraj who introduced Bangar to her, after Cricket Australia refused to send KXIP's former coach Darren Lehmann for IPL 7.
"We were really worried after we lost out on Darren. I was discussing this with Yuvi one day that we will have to compete this time without a good coach and he said 'why don't you go for a good Indian player'. He was the one who suggested Sanjay's name.
"I realised big players don't need a coach it's for the younger guys, it's like seasoned actors don't need a big director. A seasoned actor knows where to get inspiration from, how to handle complexities in a character.
"Sanjay was the one who guided us about the uncapped domestic players as we didn't know much about Rishi Dhawan or Akshar Patel. People have applauded us for that. We wanted players who had amazing skill sets and could also be incredible all-rounders.
"I felt bad to let Piyush Chawla go but he went for a good price, so I am happy for him. It's the IPL and Indians should get a chance so we wanted to buy some talented youngsters and with Sanjay's help we pulled it off well."
Preity seemed most excited about the purchase of Virender Sehwag for ₹3.2 crore. Though Sehwag has not made an international appearance since March 2013, she believes the explosive opener can deliver the goods on any given day.
"I am ecstatic and thrilled that we have Viru on our side. First of all he is a very simple player. I believe form is temporary and class is permanent and this guy has achieved all sorts of records. He has slammed a double and a triple ton, so on his day he can tear the opposition apart.
"My prediction is that Viru is going to rock this tournament. It's not to put him under pressure but A) I'm a great fan of his and B) He's more suited to us.
"We would give him that support, let him play his natural game, be happy and do whatever he wants."
Punjab has had some decent buys especially Aussie pacer Mitchell Johnson (bought for ₹6.5 crore) who is in top form at the moment.
"God has been kind, that Mitchell was not retained by Mumbai and Viru by Delhi. We thank our stars that we got Mitchell. We always had an issue with our foreign pacers. First it was Brett (Lee) who got injured, then Jerome Taylor who never made it to the squad. Then we got Stuart Broad, he too was injured so finally we have Mitchell."
Finally, speaking of match-fixing scandals and other ongoing allegations surrounding the IPL, and what her team has done differently to stay away from it, Preity pointed out that the franchise has come up with a code of ethics and conduct that curbs players from getting involved in anything outside the boundaries of fair play.
"Firstly, we have gone for players who are known for their integrity throughout the world. Secondly, there's a code of ethics and conduct formulated by each franchisee besides the BCCI and thirdly, with the spotlight on fixing I don't think any player will have the guts to do anything like that. If somebody still indulges in fixing he should face a harsh punishment - banned for life - which means not only stopped from playing the game but also not work as commentators or anyone sharing their opinions on cricket."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues